Remove it or Not

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepSeaGoddess

Reaction score
Ok, it is me again! Seems like I'm always asking the questions out here but not providing any help! I attribute it to that I've only had rabbits for about6 months now.

This time, I'm looking for opinions as if what would you do if it was your rabbit? Here's the details:

For my female rabbit whom I rescued from the outdoors last November, 3 weeks ago, we noticed a small lump behind her front right leg....almost like it is in her 'armpit'. It was not there a month before as we had held her to trim her claws and would have noticed it. It is about the size of a golf ball. We immediately took her to the vet who examined it. It was 'soft and squishy', not really hard, and did not appear to be attached to anything. She did not think it was characteristic of a cancerous tumor or anything. She thought it could possibly be a hematoma. Well, that day, she aspirated it to look at some of the cells. She did see some blood in it and when she looked at the cells under a microscope, she didn't see anything abnormal. So, at that time, she recommended watching it for 2 weeks to see if it went away on its own.

I took her back for the follow up last week as it was still there. :( It has not really gotten any bigger or anything. This time, we saw a different vet who basically said we have two options: 1) remove it via surgery and have it analyzed or 2) aspirate again but send the cells to a pathologist to analyze. She mentioned that this may come back inconclusive.

We didn't want to just immediately put her through surgery without at least seeing if the pathologist would be able to determine anything. So, we opted for option 2.

Last night, the vet called with the results. The pathologist has seen inflammatory cells amongst fat cells in the sample they have. Although they did not see any cancerous cells or anything, they cannot rule out soft tissue sarcoma because the sample they had was small.

So, my option now is to leave it alone or go through the surgery to remove it. It is a tough decision because of the risks associated with anesthesia to remove it.

I do not know how old she is. I know she is at least 2 because several neighbors told me she had been living outside for a year or longer. I had her spayed in January and she recovered just fine......after going through issues with her pulling stitches out and then staples out for several weeks post-surgery but, she finally recovered fine.

Her activity level is fine. She eats fine, drinks water, poops, eats her hay, and other than this, appears to be fine. It does not appear to really bother her. She weighs 9 pounds now.....she has gained 1 1/2 pounds since the last time at the vet in January. :)

So, I'm looking for opinions or advice from you guys knowing you have way more experience with rabbits than me! What would you do?:? I just do not know what the right decision is. In addition, the vet is also on the fence. She said if it was a dog or cat, absolutely take it out but, for exotics, there is the risks associated with the anesthesia.

Thanks so much again for reading this and listening....

Renea

before you have any surgery on a rabbit, you need to make sure that your Vet is rabbit savvy. They require a whole different approach--different medicines and every thing else than would be used on a dog or cat. Next, is the cost. Nothing done on a rabbit is ever cheap. If she were ours, we'd have it removed. Don't really like unknowns or surprises where our bunnies are concerned.

Then I will personalize it..

if a vet showed hesitation re. using anesthesia in removing a lump on my rabbit I would not trust the vet doing it list or no list....

A confident vet doesn't have doubts re. using anesthesia on a rabbit because it is routine to them unless there are special circumstances or the rabbit is elderly or has respiratory, heart or lung issues.

You asked for an opinion and this is mine.

I am sure others here will agree with me...

Oh I definitely appreciate the advice and opinions. That's why I posted!

There are several vets in the office. The one that spayed her is not the one I saw this time. Perhaps this one is more cautious. Regardless, I think I will get the opinion of the other dr. in the office that spayed her, etc. When she had spayed her, beforehand, she walked through the entire procedure with me in detail on how they anesthicize rabbits, the recovery, medicines, etc. I *do* trust her and get the impression she is more experienced. They are working up an estimate for me as it probably will be costly. Cost is not an issue...I want what is best for her.

That said, I value ANY information you guys are giving me as you definitely have more experience than me!

It's possible that the other vet is more experienced and has done more surgeries.
To be honest I don't think that removing the lump at the moment is an emergency; I would also talk to the other vet about the test results. Nothing showed up malignant which is great.
My experience is that the vets whofocus on the dangers of anesthesia are less experienced.

Yes, rabbits are more delicate under anesthesia but someone who has treated a lot of rabbits is so confident that they don't focus on this anymore unless there are other health issues complicating the surgery.

You may also want to find out what type of anesthesia is being used. ; most experienced vets use injectable agents which are reversible if a problem should arise.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Surgery/Anesthesia_rabbits_pre.PDF

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Surgery/Anesthesia_rabbits_main.PDF

this is failry sophisticated if you are new to rabbits but if you just bring up anesthesia to the vet you can monitor their response to the question . If the vet is not comfortable discussing it or begins to discuss how dangerous it is then the vet is uncomfortable.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html

angieluv wrote:
Then I will personalize it..

if a vet showed hesitation re. using anesthesia in removing a lump on my rabbit I would not trust the vet doing it list or no list....

A confident vet doesn't have doubts re. using anesthesia on a rabbit because it is routine to them unless there are special circumstances or the rabbit is elderly or has respiratory, heart or lung issues.

You asked for an opinion and this is mine.

I am sure others here will agree with me...

Ditto Angieluv. I always thought that rabbits had a harder time with anesthesia until I mentioned it to my vet, who informed me there is not a higher risk with rabbits then with cats and dogs. Chase is 5 and has been put under anesthesia 3 times, never with a problem. So I agree that if a vet showed hesitation I would look else where.

I think talking to the other vet is a great idea, especially if you feel she/he is more rabbit savy. I think it is always great to get a second opinion. Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide.

It sounds a lot like my MooShu's fatty cyst/tumor. Same location....same description/diagnosis.

My vet did an aspiration/exam andrecommended leaving it, and bringing her back if she showed signs of impaired movement and/or pain.
He also advised me that removal of a fatty cyst/tumor usually results in it reforming.

He's a wiz with anesthesia, and says that there's no routine ...more like guidelines....each bun is different and needs to be addressed per their needs and condition.

The growth in MooShu has changed and possibly increased in size, but it doesn't seem to bother her enough to get more aggressive with treatment.

I was immediately reminded of MooShu. I agree that the vet should be comfortable doing anesthesia since even simple procedures like spays and neuters, or even tooth trims require it.

I would be more concerned that it would reform after removal, just like MooShu's. It might be best to try to drain it with a needle first and see if that reduces it/makes it go away.

Latest posts

Back