Removal of Stitches

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaUK

Reaction score
Hi

Twinkle my new girlwas spayed on Thursday last week, we weretold to take her to the vets 10 days after this procedure to have herstitches removed - 10 days falls on Boxing day though, and the vets isclosed therefore would you recommend me taking her slightly before her10 days is up or slightly after - it would either have to be after 8days or after 13 days due to when the vets is open. Whichwould you recommend for the best? Also, does it hurt them,will she be in discomfort while he's doing it?

I'm suprised they didn't put the self disolving ones in.

I would call the vet and ask them what they would prefer. Inthe past, with humans and animals, I have been told to do it a coupledays before rather than after. The reason is, they can getinfected and be harder to take out after a longer time due to the skinhealing around them. I would go for the 8th day. Ithink 7 days is more the standard for leaving them in anyhow.

I'm sort of surprised! Most vets either use a sort of glue instead of stitches, or dissolvable ones.

It's actually quite easy to remove themyourself. I've never taken my animals (or kids for thatmatter) back to have the doctor/vet toremovestitches. Simply take a small pair of embroideryscissorsand tweezers. Cut the stitches and pullthem out. (Be certain to get them all). It's a very easy andpainless procedure :)

Pam

I removed them myself- I used a pair of tweezers.I cleaned them very well and traced her out, than i slowly removed thestiches. She was calm. I cleaned her tummy after and than i cleaned iteveryday after that...

Back