Relentless chewing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luluznewz

Reaction score
Hey All,

I havent posted here in a while, mostly because i've been busy and everything has been going well.

A new problem has kinda occured with my rabbits. The younger one, Zeppelin, will NOT stop chewing or scratching on his cage. It started with scratching on the bottom of it, then i put a wood blocker in it then he chewed the wood. Then I covered the wood and now hes chewing the bars. He even does it when he cage is OPEN and he has run of the entire house.

I dont know what to do. He used to be housed outside of my room so it wasnt a problem. However, my roommates dont want the cage in the common area so they have to be in my room. I cant sleep at night. Ive tried spray, more run time (they already get a lot), all sorts of toys and distractions. It seems useless. Any suggestions?

Well you really can't blame him for chewing on wood you put in his cage. Are you sure he is not having a dental issue. When was the last time his teeth were examined? In all honesty the only thing you can do is give him chew friendly toys. You really can't make him stop chewing, he needs to chew to maintain healthy teeth. You could provide him with willow or apple branches. There safe to chew on. Good luck

All the chewing could a teeth problem. Rabbits know they need to chew to keep their growing teeth in check and aligned. Have you tried to examine the bunny teeth? It's not hard.

All I can suggest is keep putting stuff in there to chew. As you say he chews on wood, they have toys out there that are sterilized hard wood toys. Fruit tree branches, that are dry are good as well.

Wishing you luck. I understand the frustration at night trying to sleep with chewing bunnies. But I would definitely look at his teeth. Just to make sure.

K :)

Thanks for the responses. I didnt mean to sound so frustrated, to be honest that post arose out of sleep depravation.

I actually have provided him with other stuff to chew like cardboard, apple branches, and other less noisy wood. He does chews on those a bit, but seems way more focused on chewing on the metal bars. I think its strange he is so intent on trying to destroy his cage, even when hes not locked in it. Its just strange.

I understand that rabbits have to chew, obviously i'm not faulting him for that. It just seems that he is doing it way way more than my other rabbit. I had his teeth checked about a month ago, so I dont think thats it. It seems to be more of a frustrated or angry thing, but im just not sure what it would be about.

FIW, I haven't had any teeth issues yet with Gus, but as I understand it molar spurs can crop up within a few weeks, especially if a bunny starts favouring one side of his mouth over the other. Maybe see about getting his teeth checked again? Or has the chewing been going on since before you had his teeth checked?

One thing I've noticed with bunnies chewing cage bars: The more attention you pay to them when they do it, the more they do it! :p

Ear plugs may be your only solution unless you can convince your roommates to let you put them back into the common area. At least at night.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Latest posts

Back