relaxing rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnychild

Julia
Reaction score
Hi i want willow to relax and not be so curious I read in a rabbit book that rubbing their cheeks make them relax but willow doesn't like his face being touched. I am open to suggestions

Kreacher is not really happy getting his cheeks combed or touched either. He does love to have his forehead scratched. And loves when I rub from the tip of his nose, up to the top of his head. He just melts when I do that. Also when I rub his ears from base to tip. Actually I think it's relaxing for both of us when Kreacher sits and watches TV with me as I give him his favorite rub down.

Hope this helps. All rabbits are different. You'll find the one that Willow likes.

K:)

You could try talking soothingly. Also if you really wear them out with play they will be relaxed :)

Hi Bunnychild

All rabbits are individuals, and not all will like the same thing. Just try being quiet, gentle and lots of communications and handling with Willow - she'll soon let you know what kind of stroking and cuddling make her relax.

It's not possible to 'force' any animal to relax - they only relax when they feel there's no kind of threat around. And being prey animals, it can take quite a lot of time and patience for rabbits to feel this way.

How long have you had Willow? Is she new to you or has anything about her home changed recently?

There's nothing wrong with her being curious - it's natural for a rabbit to be like this - even when they're extremely familiar with their surroundings.

I'm sure some more people will be along with their tips for bunny relaxing techniques.

Cheers,
Jacki - Small Pet Select

Time and patience. Was just thinking about Serena this morning. I can rub her belly, her neck all the way around, and just about any where else I want to--she's always been that way. Bambi was very skittish when we got her and hadn't been handled or socialized. Now I can do the same with her, but that's 4 years of work with a bunny that does have a sweet temperament. Unfortunately, there are some that will never be that way.

Jacki-Small-Pet-Select wrote:
How long have you had Willow? Is she new to you or has anything about her home changed recently?

There's nothing wrong with her being curious - it's natural for a rabbit to be like this - even when they're extremely familiar with their surroundings.

I'm sure some more people will be along with their tips for bunny relaxing techniques.

Cheers,
Jacki - Small Pet Select

I have had willow sense early september.

I found he will relax in his playpen and sleep for a while

So glad you found a place for Willow to relax. Finding a special spot for them, is like winning the lottery. And when they feel relaxed and comfortable, well that's priceless to me.

Looks like you are on your way of helping your bunny relax. I think that's all we ever want our bunnies to do. I know it is with me. Relaxed bunnies make happy curious bunnies.

K :)

bunnychild wrote:
Jacki-Small-Pet-Select wrote:

Cheers,
Jacki - Small Pet Select

I have had willow sense early september.

I found he will relax in his playpen and sleep for a while

Sounds like you're getting there with Willow. As others have said, all bunnies are different - some like to be cuddled, others not so much. But if he has a place where he likes to relax & snooze then he's doing okay.

It takes time with animals - some settle in quickly, others can take months (or even years) to become fully relaxed. Just keep doing what you're doing, as it's obviously working.

Does he like being brushed? Will he sit on your lap whilst you do this? Some like it, some not so much. It's really a case of trial and error to find out exactly what he likes or doesn't like.

Good luck

Jacki - Small Pet Select

he doesn't mind being brushed or combed but strangely he liked it when i put the long hair on top of his head in a ponytail. he doesn't really like sittin on my lap unless on the rocking chair or couch. (He doesn't like small spaces.)
Thanks for the help everyone

Latest posts

Back