Rejecting litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitis3334

Reaction score
So Cricket was always good about peeing in his litter box, but over the last 2 weeks he has stopped using it. He will actually pee on the floor right in front of the litter box. This only happens when he is out, when he is in his cage he uses his box fine.

Now I'm wondering, is it most likely a marking thing? He isn't neutered and just turned a year old at the end of December.

I haven't changed anything about the litter box, same bedding (wood pellets made for horses), same location. I tried adding an extra litter box yesterday with no luck. Not sure what else to do, I don't like keeping him in his cage, he stays out during the day and likes to sit with my cats since he is an only bunny.

Any suggestions? Right now the only thing I can think of is having him neutered, but I'm not sure if that is what the problem is.

Hmm... I would say it's marking his territory.

Maybe you could try having him out of his cage but
in a refined space that's only a bit bigger than his cage
and see if he uses the litter... then if he does just slowly
give him more and more space. He mind just need a reminder
that he has to use the litter even when he's out of his little
home lol.

If that doesn't work.. maybe try a squirt bottle... I havent
tried this but I heard it works.

If nothing works and it gets worse my best bet is that
he is due for the snip :)

sorry if this wasn't very helpful

Bonnie Lee wrote:
Hmm... I would say it's marking his territory.

Maybe you could try having him out of his cage but
in a refined space that's only a bit bigger than his cage
and see if he uses the litter... then if he does just slowly
give him more and more space. He mind just need a reminder
that he has to use the litter even when he's out of his little
home lol.

If that doesn't work.. maybe try a squirt bottle... I havent
tried this but I heard it works.

If nothing works and it gets worse my best bet is that
he is due for the snip :)

sorry if this wasn't very helpful

:yeahthat:

If you catch him in the act, quickly move him into the litter box. Is it a nice big box that he can stretch out in & nibble on a little hay that you've put in it in the right place? And if you just added a 2nd box, give that more time. And put some of his used litter in it, to give him the idea.

The two litter boxes I have out of the cage are just cat litter boxes, and considering he probably weighs about 15 lbs it really isn't big. The one in his cage is an old cage bottom from one of those 3 foot long cages. Maybe I will try replacing the litter pans with under the bed storage bins to give him more room.

I'm not a big fan of neutering single rabbits since the male risk of cancer really isn't that great compared to the females, but I'm putting down a new floor next month. I'm seriously thinking of going with some type of ceramic just so I don't have to worry about it as much :shock:

Maybe I will get a play pen to attach to his cage to try the small space idea.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

Nitis3334 wrote:
The two litter boxes I have out of the cage are just cat litter boxes, and considering he probably weighs about 15 lbs it really isn't big. The one in his cage is an old cage bottom from one of those 3 foot long cages. Maybe I will try replacing the litter pans with under the bed storage bins to give him more room.

I'm not a big fan of neutering single rabbits since the male risk of cancer really isn't that great compared to the females, but I'm putting down a new floor next month. I'm seriously thinking of going with some type of ceramic just so I don't have to worry about it as much :shock:

Maybe I will get a play pen to attach to his cage to try the small space idea.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

I had to replace a litter box with Dobby. He is the biggest of my rabbits, and I though he wasn't getting the litter box training, but found out it was just too small for him. I think getting something bigger for your guy is an excellent idea.

Good luck with the play pen idea. Hoping the smaller space idea works. I did for us and now your boys have full access to our kitchen. Have no problems, with no marking. So they did learn something from the restriction.

K :)

Benjamin was 15 pounds and we used a tupperware christmas wreath box so the under the bed box should be about the right size. He was particular about having a good sized litter box. When we were at the vets the other day the also have a natual product to put in cat litter boxes to encourage them to use it. Wonder if that would help. With Harley we use the bottom of a large pet carrying case with a towel and hay. He also needs room, not because he is big, but because he has ligament damage in one leg. ( Hoping it will heal, but if not, have to iron the kinks out of his care.)I tried with one male rabbit not to have him neutered, but tired of his marking and spraying on me. I think that there is still a health advantage to having male animals neutered.

Back