Refrigerated vs. Non-refrigerated Water...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saudade wrote:
Honestly I don't think that you could have any problems with the refrigerated water, though I do know that medically it's much much safer to drink room temperature water.
:?Whaaa? Why would cold water be a health risk?

Lab standards are that a solution that is mostly water will expire in 7 days, due to microbial growth. So that's what I would go by for how long it's ok to leave water at room temp.

I filter our water because it's quite hard.

Flash wrote:
Where I moved the tap water is nasty so I started with the Pur filter then I got a new refrig with filtered water and that's what my pets get, nice and cold.
I will compare filter ratings more closely when we return from our vacation. I've read many positive things about the Pur brand, though, and am already leaning toward it.

We use the filter jugs and wilbur never used to drink room temp water now he loves cold water from the frig, so does our new bun.

My bunnies drink from the hose. XD
So, they get whatever temp the hose is.
Of course, I let it run for a while to get rid of the warmth from the sun. And they don't get it from the hose when it's frozen, of course.
And, before you go off on me, it's well water, so it's the same water we get from a different line. So there.

My guys get tap at home but anywhere else they get bottled water. I know the water here is good but not sure about other places.

Tap water here. Same water I drink.

I used to put an ice cube or two in my guys' water bowls and cups, but I stopped doing that as I had heard elsewhere that room temperature was best for them. They live inside 24/7, and I have air-conditioning, so I just give them straight tap.

Erins Rabbits wrote:
My bunnies drink from the hose. XD
So, they get whatever temp the hose is.
Of course, I let it run for a while to get rid of the warmth from the sun. And they don't get it from the hose when it's frozen, of course.
And, before you go off on me, it's well water, so it's the same water we get from a different line. So there.
:pThe hose sounds fine to me! Ours get house water, only because the sink is closer than our hose spicket. But it's really no different.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Saudade wrote:
Honestly I don't think that you could have any problems with the refrigerated water, though I do know that medically it's much much safer to drink room temperature water.
:?Whaaa? Why would cold water be a health risk?

The only thing I can think of that could be bad about cold water is that cold water is apparently slower to hydrate you (or your bunnies). So on a hot day when you reach for that slurpee (which I do because I love them), although you might feel like it is cooling you down a lot, it actually isn't hydrating you as well as something that is room temperature. I guess the same goes for cold water and bunnies, but it wouldn't say cold for very long anyway once you take it out of the fridge.

In the long run, drinking iced water (i.e. water straight from the fridge) has been shown to contribute to creating stomach ulcers and cancer.

Lowering the temperature of your body from the inside out is also not a good idea as it.

Plus the probiotics (good bacteria) in your stomach happily exist at around human body temperatures, so if you drink a couple of glasses of cold water you're killing of quite a few of them.

Latest posts

Back