Reducing pellet amount for 1 1/2 yr old

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kep12091

Reaction score
Hello again. I have realized that I am probably feeding my rabbit too much, although that's what the breeder told me to give her. She told me to give her 3/4 of a cup a day, which she always finishes. Since getting her I have seen everyone tell me that its 1/4 cup per 5 lbs and I know she doesn't weigh 15 lbs!!!! So I am reducing her to 1/4 cup but I know she will have i t finished soon.. I thought If she empties it I'll just give her a little more to reduce the change over a few days or so.. I am Also introducing collard greens as a snack to her diet and constantly have Timothy hay available. I just was wondering if there is anyway I can make this adjustment easier for her, because I am also going to be transitioning her to a new pellet and I'm nervous this will all upset her and mess her diet up. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated! Ty :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Rabbit Forum mobile app

If you are worried you could always start with 1/2 cup per day. Try giving her 1/4 cup in the morning and then 1/4 cup in the evening. Then slowly transition to 1/8 cup in the morning and 1/8 cup in the evening.

How old is she? Do you notice her gaining too much weight?

I'd slowly reduce her pellets and then switch her to the other feed, again slowly. The 1/4 cup per 5 lbs is not a hard and fast rule, but a guideline that may be adjusted, if needed.

If you are feeding her leafy greens then yes that is the amount needed, if you are not then the rule of thumb is 1oz per pound of weight( my 4 pound Hollands get 1/2 cup and it is adjusted as needed) just slowly reduce food every day you feed her. It likes transitioning her onto a new food slowly an steady.
Edit: if you are feeding leafy greens as part of her main diet.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rabbit Forum

Latest posts

Back