Redness/small red dot in ear?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pocketsizedrhino

Reaction score
I noticed Kirby has a little redness in her ear today. I'm not sure if it just popped up or if I just now noticed it. It almost looks like she scratched it (thought I just trimmed her nails two days ago) but I'm new at having a rabbit so I wanted to post a picture to see what you guys think.

The camera didn't focus on the spot well, I can take another if you need it.

ml7fvr.jpg

ndaozs.jpg

2safibo.jpg

Here is her other clear ear for color comparison.

sc510x.jpg

trimming nails does leave the nail sharp,jagged/somewhat,..put some beta iodine on it with a cotton ball or q-tip,..sincerely james waller

james waller wrote:
trimming nails does leave the nail sharp,jagged/somewhat,..put some beta iodine on it with a cotton ball or q-tip,..sincerely james waller

yeh just a little diluted betadine (not iodine)

James is right ; it looks like he scratched his ear when he was grooming himself.

No........ witch hazel would burn ..do you have plain neosporin
don't put anything like alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on it...too strong would really hurt

What else do you have in the house?

I only have things with alcohol in them.. unless I could use diluted benxoil peroxide (it is half water, half peroxide that I use to clean my rat cage).
Could I mix up a saline solution?

I looked up and down for some neosporin and can't find any. I am preparing to move in a month and have been taking things to my parent's to store.. I guess that went.

I live in the mountains so the only store I have is Walmart but I can pick up some neosporin tonight if she needs it.

Sorry I didn't see this
neosporin is fine
just plain neosporin with nothing added and just apply a little to cover it as she will probably eat it off anyway...

You can also use cooled boiled water (so boil it, then leave it to cool).

I would say watch for signs of excessive scratching of the ears because that might indicate an ear problem as opposed to a misjudgement after nail clipping.

I had the same exact looking dots on my 2 month old's ears. It was a case of baby bun super sharp nails. I trimmed them down and applied mineral oil/baby oil in case it was mites (turns out it was not). I can't find my thread as I'm on my phone but I posted pix that looked like yours. My toby looks like your kirby a bit and I have a 2.5 yr old named Kirby too :) post-manicure,the scratches stopped developing within 2 days and within about a week they healed. I hope that's all it is for your kirby.

Yeah, the first thing I thought when I saw this was deja vu. kirbyultra's Toby looks a little like your Kirby, pocketsizedrhino, and he had the same type of thing.

Just wanted to update, the redness went away over the weekend (phew)! I was hoping it was just a little scratch.
I can't believe how much Toby looks like her! I love the nose dot. :) That's so funny that you have a Kirby as well!

That's so good :) I'm glad it healed quickly.

pocketsizedrhino wrote:
Just wanted to update, the redness went away over the weekend (phew)! I was hoping it was just a little scratch.
I can't believe how much Toby looks like her! I love the nose dot. :) That's so funny that you have a Kirby as well!

Yah, it's such a coincidence! I've been finding lookalikes of my buns on the forum. How odd! My Kirby has a lookalike bun who I think is a half sister maybe from the same breeder. KookieKing is the member who adopted that bunny, Mitsuki.

I also saw another member who had a picture of her bun, looks like Toby as well. Maybe I just have common looking bunnies, but I didn't really think so. Do you?

2009-043.jpg

Latest posts

Back