Red urine?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEAUKEZRA

Reaction score
I found some red urine on a sheet in Bernie,Louie and Rosie's room the other day. I don't know who it came from but I guess I'm looking for a little reassurance that it must be something they ate (like too many blueberries?). It's the first time I've ever seen red urine and I haven't found any more red puddles. I'm a little nervous now because Louie has a mysterious bald spot on his back as a result of overgrooming by Rosie (I think) but it was Bernie who stole all the blueberries. I suppose if it was a kidney infection or something else serious then I would find more red urine right? Maybe I'm just overreacting. I think I'll take Louie to the vet after Christmas and have his bald spot checked and keep an eye out for more red urine. That's the bad thing about 3 bonded bunnies...not knowing who's doing what.

A rabbits urine changes colors from a yellow, to white, to orange, to a dark brown. When I first got both of my rabbits, they had yellow pee, after about a week, they both got orange pee. It was either from the air or plant pigment.

I wouldn't worry too much about the red pee. I would try and figure out if it is blood. Smell it next time. I know gross... but it is a way to find out if it is blood.

It could also be a treat that you are feeding that makes it change this color. If you do go to the vet, bring a sample of the pee so they can test it for blood. (I think they do this at least...)

Megan

Latest posts

Back