red/orange urine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterbaby05

Reaction score
I just got my Netherlands dwarf on Monday and ever since his urine
has been red/orange. He is 2 months old today. Hrs eating well and seems energetic. Should I be concerned?. I'm worried.

I wouldn't be too concerned as long as he is acting normal. A lot of times rabbits will urinate in different colors because of what they eat. If his urine doesn't get back to normal I would recommend changing his diet. If ale sure he is drinking enough water as well.

caustin4 wrote:
I wouldn't be too concerned as long as he is acting normal. A lot of times rabbits will urinate in different colors because of what they eat. If his urine doesn't get back to normal I would recommend changing his diet. If ale sure he is drinking enough water as well.

:yeahthat::wink

What's in his normal diet? Veggies, treats etc?

Hes on just hay and pellets. I don't plan on giving any treats until he is much older.. hes my lil munckin hopefully its nothing.

Do his pellets have those crunchy bits in them? If there are red ones, or yellow/orange ones, they could be causing it. If not, I would just make sure he's eating/drinking fine and probably set up a vet visit if it keeps up, and for a general physical for him since he's new to you.

I find carrot is the culprit with orange urine. Some pellets contain all sorts of vege's, whatever they can get cheap to make up the mix so beware. Find pellets that have an ingredients list to refer to so you can be certain what you are feeding your bunny
Good Luck!
:hug:

It is a bit upsetting seeing that for the first. I know it was for me. But as others posted, rabbits diet will affect the urine color with no problems.

If it persists, I would definitely make an appointment with a Rabbit Savvy vet in your area. Just for your peace of mind. Plus you get an overall view from an expert about your bunny. It's a good starting point.

K:)

I'm definitley making an appointment with my rabbit vet :) hes not on a rabbit feed that has colorful bits in it. But he is being switched over from purina show feed to purina rabbit chow. I read that sometimes it can change Color due to stress? Thankyou everyone for all the comments and information! Very much appreciated

Stress can do a lot of different things in a rabbit. Good to hear you are going to see a Vet. It will give you peace of mind. It's probably nothing but the food change, but always better to be safe than sorry and obtain a calm conscience.

Let us know how it goes.

I also wanted to ask another question without creating a whole new topic... I brought him home monday 4-9 and today is thursday 4-12... when I brought him home I filled his water bottle to 16 ounces, it is now down to 12 ounces... is he not drinking enough water? Also, I notice hes not really eating the timothy hay I offered to him, is this a problem? Thanlkyou everyone!! I jus worry so much about my little baby!!

hunterbaby05 wrote:
I also wanted to ask another question without creating a whole new topic... I brought him home monday 4-9 and today is thursday 4-12... when I brought him home I filled his water bottle to 16 ounces, it is now down to 12 ounces... is he not drinking enough water? Also, I notice hes not really eating the timothy hay I offered to him, is this a problem? Thanlkyou everyone!! I jus worry so much about my little baby!!

He sounds like he's just settling in. Some rabbits do drink more than others. Being 2 months old, hay might not be exciting to his tastebuds. Maybe offering Alfalfa hay to him for a while and then by 7 months start the gradual change to Timothing or Orchard hay. It's important for rabbits to eat hay (they need to eat constantly to keep their digestive system moving).

Since you are going to the Vet, write down all your questions (I do so I don't forget) and bring up these issues to him/her.

Let us know how you make out.

Hi
When you change feeds on bunnies it can upset the digestive system for awhile so a little adjustment may take place. Don't worry and good luck with the vet!
:feelbetter:

hunterbaby05 wrote:

Ahh, this may be the reason of the red/orange urine. If they're not drinking enough water, that can cause it. I'd agree with the other that he's just settling in. It will probably work itself out on its own.

Latest posts

Back