Recused bunnies, stained?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenameisaimee

Reaction score
I just recently rescued two bunnies. Both females, all white with blue eyes. They are really beautiful bunnies. Anyway, it looks like they were saturated in there own feces and urine. There front and back feet are all yellow now, same with the bottom of there bellies. Do you know if this is permanent or could i get this out somehow? Please let me know, i know these little girls have potential.

Welcome to RO! :D
It should come out in time. I'm not totally sure what you can do to get it out but I'm sure someone else can help you!
Also, pictures of these two girlies is much needed! :D

I agree with angieluv- I would also let the fur grow out / I would comb it out rather than using something on the fur. I have actually seen vinegar turn white cloth yellow from the acid before, so vinegar may not help at all on a white bunny.

Is the cause of the staining because they were kept originally in dirty conditions? I am guessing that is the case. Sometimes it can be because the are having bladder issues but it doesn't sound like that here.

A lot of good advice already, but wanted to agree with dquesnel that you want to look into the cause of the staining. Runny poos or sitting in urine/peeing all over themselves can be signs of problems. If they were just kept in a dirty cage, that would be the cause and now that they're in a clean environment, it won't happen again.

thanks everyone with the great advice. The reasoning for the staining isn't because of issues of bladders or anything, but because whoever owned them before abandoned them in a extremely confined space in an apartment, vacant for two weeks before anyone found them. They only had very little space to roam which eventually lead to them walking in there own fese and urine.

Oh, that is so terrible for those guys! I'm so glad you've taken them in and will be taking much better care of them now. We'd love to hear their story, especially in the Rescue Stories section.

I would just fill a sink or bathtub with about an inch of water (or 1/2 in., depending on their size), and wash them with a mild puppy or child shampoo. This may not take all the color out, but it will get them clean. The bad color will molt out within a few months, most likely.

You *can* rinse out color pretty well with hydrogen peroxide. A lot of show breeders do this and it really quickly takes out yellow coloring. The downside is that it REALLY dries out the fur. So on pet rabbits, I'd just stick with a quick washing to make sure they're not actually dirty, and then just let it alone. :)

Back