Recovery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NetherlandDwarf

Reaction score
Bun was neutered this past Monday, I know boys have a shorter recovery time, about how long until he's up and moving out of his cage? On the after care instructions it says to restrict activity for 14 days, is that a normal time frame? It just seems a bit long, at least for him anyways lol He seems fine with being confined to his cage until later in the evening, that's when he's begging to come out, and right now as im typing this he's chewing on his cage! maybe its his pain meds making him feel a bit more better than he should right now.

the other thing is his pellet food. ever since the surgery, he doesnt seem interested in eating his pellet food, & he loves this stuff. he's eating tons of his hay and treats as in carrots, grapes, and misc. greens (in limited amounts of course). I was just wondering about the pellet situation, im sure its more like "oh i had surgery, feed me the good stuff junk food" guilt trip.

Did you ckeck the testicular sacs to see if they are swollen or red. ? every now and then an infection can occur in a sac after a neuter.

In terms of exerciseI agree that 14 days is too long unless something else is going on with the rabbit. It is just routine protocol ; you can use your own judgment
You don't want him to do any jumping or tearing around but I would definitiely let him out in a small room if he is otherwise doing OK

He probably isn't eating pellets because he is getting so many other good treats:)

We were told to confine the shelter spayed females for several weeks after surgery and I started to think about how much better it would be if they could move around a little to get their GI tracts moving and also to stretch out. I now set up an x-pen for them attached to a large dog crate. You wouldn't want a newly spayed female running laps or jumping but to just move about a small area is fine.

When Toby was neutered, he was bouncing all over the place inside his cage. I was afraid that he was going to hurt himself inside the cage, so I let him bounce around in my parent's hallway. It was a bigger area where he could hop around and stretch out. When our old foster-girl was spayed, we kept her confined for about a week. She kept trying to escape, so we set up a little playpen off of her cage for her to come venture out into.

Same with Bo on the second day. The first day he had good drugs and slept on me for hours! He did eat tho....... then crawled back into his comfy spot on mama.....

I set up a little spot for bun and it gave me a chance to look where the incision is, one looks great, the other questionable. it looks like he may have opened it somehow, because there's a little dried blood, but it looks like its closing on its own. it doesn't look too red or swollen, but not as nice looking as the other side. he wont let me look at it too much either. should I just call the vet and go in just in case? or should i give it another day?

Excellent, thanks for the update! Sometimes it is better to take them in when in question- if not only for our own peace of minds, eh?

Latest posts

Back