Recommended Books?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tori

Reaction score
I feel like I am making an awful lot of posts :sigh:Well I am interested in reading some books so I can expand my learning even more (then maybe I won't be making so many posts :p). Well I found so many on Amazon about rabbit care and such so I thought I would try to get a list of ones you all recommend. I ask here because I kind of want to avoid books fueled by rescue since I am mainly looking at showing and eventually breeding. So that's where I'm coming from, maybe help on starting your rabbitry and such. I did note the ARBA's publications and plan to look into those. So any books off the top of your head that you find to be informative and may help someone new? :)

Tori

I picked up a few books from the library the other day. My library lets me pick the books online, they pull them from the shelves or another local library and call me when they are all in!! That way I can look through different books without costing anything and if it is a book with a ton of info and I feel like I need it then I can buy it. I just hate spending 20 bucks on a book and nothing useful in it!!! Try your library first. I really liked the field guide to rabbits (johnson) author
and your rabbit a kid's guide to raising and showing , it is great whatever age you are (searle)

rabbit handbook (david taylor)

Rabbits for Dummies is also a great one! I have it and love it!
I bought it at Barnes and Noble.

Let me get out my rabbit library (I'll mention books not previously mentioned ;)):

1. All About Rabbits by Howard Hirschhorn
2. Beginner's Guide to Rabbits by Will Bradford
3. Rabbits edited by Paul Paradise
(These first three books are quite old being published between 1974 and 1984. The only reason I have them is because I won them in a 4-H auction basket. ;))
4. Official Guide Book to Raising Better Rabbits & Cavies
(Great book, especially for 4-H members. It's the ARBA's official book to raising rabbits, etc.)
5. Dwarf Rabbits by Monika Wegler
6. Animal Planet: Rabbits by Sue Fox
7. Rabbits by Virginia Parker Guidry
8. The Rabbit Handbook by Karen Gendron

Of course I also have the books "Storey's Guide to Rabbits" and "Rabbits for Dummies", both which have been mentioned.

I do hope that Storey does come out with an updated version of the Guide to Rabbits. I definitely look forward to reading it! :)

Emily

I wanted to get a good book about raising rabbits too but they all seem to be American :( Most of the information would be useless to be me

I learned most of what I know by reading as many books as I can. Don't limit yourself, check out ALL the rabbit books from your local library. Join breeder forums and talk to people there.

The best way to learn is to get many different opinions. From there, you can decide which ideas you like best and which ones work best for you! :)

Sheandg, my library does that as well. Isn't it great?! lol I love to read so this definitely gives me something to read up on.

Thank you everyone for giving me suggestions. I am trying to get a broad range of opinions, but I guess there are just so many books on rabbit care that I kind of want to weed out the ones that won't really help me or that people found especially helpful/informative. But OakRidge I will definitely keep what you said in mind because I do want to expand my knowledge as much as possible :) I am definitely looking forward to lots of reading!

Hop to it. Its good too learn about the basics of rabbit care and health. Its one of the books I recommend to my new rabbit-owning clients. :)
Talks about a little bit of everything.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0812045513/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

**Attend some rabbit shows, the breeders there would be more than happy to answer questions and teach a bit about caring for rabbits.
Some shows even have informative lessons and brochures :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mischiwapos.cyra wrote:
Hop to it. Its good too learn about the basics of rabbit care and health. Its one of the books I recommend to my new rabbit-owning clients. :)
Talks about a little bit of everything.

http://www.amazon.com/Hop-Guide-Training-Rabbit-training/dp/0812045513

**Attend some rabbit shows, the breeders there would be more than happy to answer questions and teach a bit about caring for rabbits.
Some shows even have informative lessons and brochures :)
Ooh that looks like a good book! I may just have to order that! :)

Emily

Back