Recently Recued Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JellyBean16

Reaction score
I rescued a bunny about a week and a half ago she was severely neglected by her last owner. Her name is Josie. When i recieved her she was just skin & bones. :(

I am wondering how to make her gain weight as quick as posible. I feed her unlimited hay and 3 cups of Timothy and Alfalfa +Vitamins Rabbit Pellets each day. She still is super skinny and is not gaining weight. I already took her to the vet and apparently i am doing everything right, i dont feel i am...

you need to give her time. the rabbit is alive and eating. You are doing well.

You may wish to do the following.

1. don't feed unlimited hay. Hay doesn't support faster weight gain. Not saying don't give hay, just limit it to a handful.

2. 3 cups of pellets? wow...how big is this rabbit? and she is eating three cups??? What is the protein percentage of those pellets?

3. adding oatmeal (just regular kitchen oats) can support weight gain. also can having BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds). The first can be given a tbsp or so at a time without needing to ease into it, BOSS needs to be added more slowly to prevent digestive upset.

She is a She is a flemish giant. The protein is 15% min. I met 2 cups of pellets each day, she only eats about 1 1/2 cups though. She weighs 7lbs and she is 3 years old. I can't believe she's alive...

I think you need to just give her time. She probably just needs more time to hold the weight. Its been a week and a half? I would probably start to question it if she didnt gain weight within the month.

Do you have any pix of her?

... She weighs 7lbs and she is 3 years old. I can't believe she's alive...

Hi JellyBean,

She is awfully thin for a 3 year old Flemish Giant. I've raised them, F.Gs, for eight years now and when I need to put a little extra weight on mine or have a doe with kits I give them a little Calf Mana. If you know anyone that raises calves see if they'll give you a cup or two, otherwise it comes in a 25# bag and will last a life time plus 50 years. :) It's a milk supplement pellet they give a calf to help with the weening process and is Very High protein, about 29%!

Rabbits love this stuff so be very careful how much you give her. I start an adult with only two teaspoons full a day and sloooooowly increase to about a tablespoon full over two weeks. There again my Giants are in the 17-20 pound range so you should probably start with about 1 teaspoon daily until you measure some weight gain on your bun. It doesn't take long to see results using this stuff but be very careful not to give them too much, you can really make them sick.

:goodluck
Bruce

:hbunnysmell:
Do you have any pix of her?
Sorry, but my only camera is broken, i am waiting for my new camera to ship to me.

I will try the milk pellets. Thx for the sudgestion!

I never rescued a bunny this skinny i just want her to have a better life with all the love and snuggles she deserves.

:wave2 Just stopped by to see how you are doing with Josie.

Did your camera arrive yet? ...you still owe us pictures. :stikpoke

Hi again,
I will give you an update. Josie is now 15 pounds, she is gaining slowly. I have her on a prescription feed from the vet. It works well. :weee:

Slowly? She doubled her weight in a week! That's fantastic though, I'm so glad to know that she's recovering and doing well. :)

Hi again,
I will give you an update. Josie is now 15 pounds, she is gaining slowly. I have her on a prescription feed from the vet. It works well. :weee:

That's GREAT news! :happyrabbit: I was really worried about her.

Latest posts

Back