Really scary taxi ride last night

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saffy wrote:
The main office should know who picked you up - I hope you've got onto them again.

The reason I asked if he knew what you were saying is, that there are a lot of taxi drivers who can hardly speak English and maybe be was unable to understand properly what you were telling him. ?

Yeah the office record who does what job and where they go etc. When Steve spoke to them on Saturday night/Sunday morning they said that the driver had gone off-shift as soon as he had dropped me off.

He was Asian, and he did have a strong accent, but he definitely understood what I was saying- he understood when we got in the taxi and arranged the drop-off in town, and arranged to stop at the cashpoint, etc. He definitely heard what I was saying, just wouldn't acknowledge it :?

Steve called the council this morning- as he suspected from reading online last night, the police don't deal with complaints of this nature, unless an attack or something has actually taken place- they don't have the time nor the resources apparently. :rollseyes The council are the ones who issue taxi companies their license though, and will investigate complaints like that themselves. The woman he spoke to at the council said she was very suprised to hear a complaint against that company as they usually have such a good reputation (why we used them), but when Steve told her a brief summary what happened she apparently said 'my word, I'd have been terrified too'. She said that if we send the complaint in writing, they'll appoint an inspector to investigate it, which usually means interviewing the driver, and they usually reccommend that drivers are either suspended or given desk jobs (i.e not allowed to drive) whilst the investigation takes place. She said that they have had taxi drivers in court frequently for lesser offences and would take it very seriously. They automatically let the company know that a complaint has been made against them. She also said that despite their good reputation, they wouldn't think twice about revoking the company's licence if they don't cooperate fully.

I wrote my account and Steve is helping me write the letter this afternoon. I didn't think I would sleep last night worrying about it, and it did take me a while, but I did, and I feel a bit better today now it's not so fresh in my mind.

Reading what you guys thought he might have done did really scare me last night, I must admit. I think I had been thinking the same thing on some level but hadn't wanted to admit it. I don't actually know what I thought he was going to do at the time, but I just knew that I was very scared and wanted to get out of the car and out of that situation.

I've always been a bit wary of getting in taxis, on my own, or being the last one in a taxi, but I've always thought that it is the safest way of getting home. I never walk in the dark on my own, never take a night bus, and never go out if I don't know that I have a way of getting home. I've been in taxis before where I've said 'I've only got x-amount, how much is it going to cost?' and the driver has said 'oh, you're only a couple of quid short, don't worry about it, I'll take you home, save you walking in the dark'. Another time I've been with a friend and we told the driver that we only had x-amount, and to just let us out when the meter got to this amount. Both of those occasions were a long time ago, when I was less responsible, I must admit.

I've never at any point felt unsafe in a taxi before, but I don't think I will feel safe in one again.

Thanks everyone for the support. Can always count on RO friends for that :)

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
Jen,

Do the cabs have security cameras on board?? I know 1 of our company's installed camera's.. Is it possible for the company to track there cars?? If so they should be able to see where he was going.

This is a serious matter and it isn't in any way your fault.

:hug:
I don't think they do, no. I think that some of the Hackney-style black cabs do have cameras installed, but this was just a regualr people-carrier taxi, a private hire one. All the cars have sat-nav, but I don't know if they track where they actually drove, or if they just record pick-ups and destinations or not.

mouse_chalk wrote:
Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
Jen,

Do the cabs have security cameras on board?? I know 1 of our company's installed camera's.. Is it possible for the company to track there cars?? If so they should be able to see where he was going.

This is a serious matter and it isn't in any way your fault.

:hug:
I don't think they do, no. I think that some of the Hackney-style black cabs do have cameras installed, but this was just a regualr people-carrier taxi, a private hire one. All the cars have sat-nav, but I don't know if they track where they actually drove, or if they just record pick-ups and destinations or not.
I think all do.. as far as i know.
In buses, they have no choices, its built in.

Well this is a serious offence ; you could have been hurt

butI am glad that you are going through all the channels to get this resolved. :)

Now if it was meI would never want to take a taxi alone again and that would be a shame :(

Very proud of you for being brave, writing your account, and taking all the measures you can, Jen (hugs)

It might surprise you to know that on average, only one out of 10 people will ever complain about anything... probably means there are 9 others out there who have had a similar experience, and never spoke up.

Glad you did :)

Oh my gosh, how terrifying! It was absolutely NOT your fault.

Jen, I am so glad you are ok. (((hugs)))

I am also glad that you and Steve have reported this. I hope that creep isn't allowed to drive a taxi again.

Oh my gosh! I would have been so scared. I hope this guy gets fired, who knows what he was planning on doing. I'm glad he got 'nervous' and let you out though. Keep us updated on what happens.

Oh god that is so horrible. Taxi drivers really scare me, I hate getting taxis. Glad he finally let you out. In my local town I always call up the local taxi company, its owned by my grandparents friend, I know its a little strange but if its just me or a small group of girls I always ask for a female taxi driver if possible and they are always happy to oblige, there are so many issues with taxis.

One of my flat mates told me her sister got in a taxi that turned out to be unlicensed. Apparently he was driving her and then started going the wrong way out of town, she didn't notice for a while but then when she did she kept saying he was going the wrong way and so she said something to him and he just kept driving until he was heading towards the moors. Eventually he pulled up at the steelworks and started beating the crap out of her. Luckily a security light came on and a security guard was on duty and came to see what was happening, so he chucked her out of the car and drove off. She escaped with severe facial and head injuries, but they say that people who go to the moors generally don't come back.

Glad you're safe. x

Latest posts

Back