Really scabby eye and nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polly

Reaction score
Please can anyone help when i got nibbler he was in a cage with another buck and he had a wee scab on the bottom of his eye but i thought the other buck had just caught it and it would heal,but it has got worse. we started off cleaning it with salt water and the vet gave us fucithalmic eye cream but this didn't help so he gave him a steroid injection (i know this is bad) this seemed to help but then he started sneezing so they put him on baytril, as it wasn't healing they took him in last monday and did a biopsy (thats why it looks worse cause they shaved him ) the vet thought it could be syphilis but now thinks its mites and gave him an anti parasytical injection a few days ago he has been trying to get an expert involved but they haven't got back to us yet. Now his nose is really scabby too and the scab is so thick we have to take it off cause he can hardly wiggle his nose. Its awful he is a gorgeous bunny and a real trooper he just lets us get on and do what we have to but i feel so bad for him, i hope someone can help.

It does sound & look like syphilis. Not to worry, a few shots of
pennicillin will have him back to his old beautiful self, in no time.
Charlotte

Thanks Charlotte, the funny thing is his bits down below seem fine! but its virginal as he is so young must have got it off his mum, i have had other bunnies from this breeder and never had this before he looks very sad huddled up in his hutch. I have heard the penicillin gives them the runs is there anything i can do to help him if this is the way they go?

My Evie caught it from a rabbit that came into my shelter with no visible signs of having it. Actually,three came in that day, from the same place. They were found in a dumpster, in an apartment complex. All three were spayed/neutered at the same time and it wasn't until after this particular rabbit was adopted that the "boo-boo's" began to appear. Anyway, it turned out that all 3 had it. All were treated without any real change in their poops. Just continue to give lots of hay.

Yeah, it sounds like syphilis to me too. It could have been from his mom, or from another rabbit if he was nipped. It spreads through any bodily fluid, such as blood. It's not unusual for rabbits to only have symptoms on the face and not the genitals.

Make sure you get penicillin injections, not oral medication. Oral penicillin is what has the reputation for causing the runs, and can be fatal. Injected penicillin is safe.

polly wrote:
The vet has said that from the biopsy results that syphilis is not present any other ideas?
Maybe rabbit pox - this can look like syphillis. According to my little book this can be discovered from a skin biopsy/blood test.

Myxo is a definite possibility.

Also have the vet test for a fungal infection (although he most likely already has).

Pam

Hi guys, i have found that Alfie my big bruiser buck def. has syphilis, it sure looks sore, that was on sunday night when my husband was giving him his bunny M.O.T he has never been in contact with nibbler though and i always deal with nibbler last. We ran around and frantically checked all our other bunnies but no one else seems affected it wasn't there on Alfie 3 weeks ago as he was checked before a mating. I will keep an eye on the other bunnies.

So Nibbler and Alfie have received a penicillan injection today and we have been given 2 more for each bunny to give 1 a week for next 2weeks, they also gave Nibs an anti parasytical injection last week which is to be done every 3 weeks so fingers crossed we will get to the bottom of it.

Can I ask though how long does the penicillin take before you notice a difference?

Hi guys just thought i would post and let you know Nibbler is all better. He has had 3 penicilin injections but we saw a massive improvement after just the first one, but now there is nothing, he looks normal! and has been a lot happier and eating much better too. The vet is now kicking himself for not giving it sooner.

As an aside it cleared up his snuffles as well so he is fighting fit.

I take it once it has been treated and has cleared up it won't just come back he would have to be reinfected? just want to check

Latest posts

Back