Read before you breed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok - so I'm SUPPOSED to be working on my book to get it done by 4/15...I really will. Someday..

I am getting frustrated though and I think if we can put together a"read before you breed" type of thing - it will help a lot. So I've gotthe thread started.

Here is what I'm thinking of - breeders and other mods - please jump in and add your thoughts/comments and tips.

a. BEFORE YOU BREED - things to consider
motivation for breeding
what breed you want to work with
expenses - cages, food, how much on hand for vet bills
how many rabbits are in a litter
show quality or pets

b. You've decided to breed - now what!
How to buy your bunnies
What to know BEFORE you buy your bunnies
Recommended memberships (ARBA, etc)

c. Maybe a bit of color genetics? Like dont' take a tort to a black otter?... basic stuff like that?

d. Why we don't recommend cross-breeding except for certain situations

e. Age for breeding various breeds

What else? Go ahead and post links and various tips and stuff in thethread in the working area section and I'll try to put everythingtogether in a post...

[align=center]Making the Decision to Breed
[/align]
The decision to breed rabbits should not be entered into lightly. Whileit is fun to breed rabbits and see baby bunnies in nestboxes, therestill are a lot of things you need to consider before you breed.

First of all - finances. Here are some things you will need to have onhand for breeding:
  • extra cages (for when the babies reachweaning age)
  • nestboxes (for the does to have their babiesin)
  • an emergency fund in case there are problems withdelivery
Remember also:
  • You will be feeding morerabbits so their upkeep will become more expensive.
  • You will havemore cages to clean and water bottles to fill and rabbits to feed everyday. Do you have time for it?
Now let's talk for a momentabout WHY you want to breed. Is it simply for the experience? Is it tomake money? Is it because you love a certain breed? There are no realright and wrong answers to this - but if you are hoping to breed tomake money...think again. Breeding can become very expensive if youneed medical care, medications for ill rabbits or just wind up withmore bunnies than you can sell or give away - which means you will needto buy or build MORE cages.

As a side note, "cross-breeding" or "mixed breeding" is notrecommended. There are many many homeless rabbits in shelters allacross the United States and in other nations. It is harder to findhomes for cross-breed rabbits than it is for purebred rabbits and manytimes you will hear someone saying, "I really want X breed" or "I wanta rabbit with lop ears" versus, "Oh, I'm just looking for a cute bunny".

Still thinking about breeding? Before you decide to do so, please sitdown and make a list of all the things you know you're going to need(cages, water bottles, etc) and make sure that you have the money setaside for them - and I recommend a $200 "emergency" fund for your firstfew vet visits just in case you have problems.

[align=center]Once You've Decided to Breed

[/align] Now you need to start looking around andmaking some decisions about WHAT you want to breed. Do you findyourself drawn to dwarf rabbits? large rabbits? Do you love the fur ofa mini rex or the mane on a lionhead? Or do you prefer shorter fur anda rabbit that doesn't need much grooming?

Remember- the larger the breed - the more babies in a litter to findhomes for - and you'll need a larger size cage for the rabbits to livein.

Once you have your cages - you need to purchase the rabbits you want to breed. How do you do this?
  • Attend a show and talk to breeders who haverabbits
  • Preferably - find a mentor at the show and have themteach you what to look for
  • Purchase a trio from one person if atall possible
    • Even if they have several different "lines" oftheir breed - there is a good chance they are compatible for breedingtogther
    • If you have TWO does...you can breed them both at thesame time and have one of them be available to "foster" if the otherdoe has problems with the litter
    • Make sure to buy the VERY BESTbuck you can afford. His qualities will be passed on to EVERY litter hesires. If you are starting out with one buck only - you want all ofyour babies to get the very best traits they can get.
  • Youcan also join an internet list (checkhttp://www.yahoogroups.com) ofbreeders either for your breed or in your state.

Maybe we should also do a warning thread aboutputting two buns together that are unaltered (as in male andfemale)? Maybe even a separate thread on why altering is soimportant, how buns get pregnant in a matter of seconds, etc. for thosethat might not realize (however that's possible, I'm not sure) thatputting two unaltered different-gendered bunnies together means they'llmore than likely have a litter on their hands in a month?

Latest posts

Back