Re: Pregnancy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamouse

Reaction score
I'm getting my buns interstate- It's a 4 hour flight, then add about 3 hours in the luggage area and another 2 or so getting them home.

The thing is, I'm getting both a boy and a girl, the same age, who are brother and sisters. My plan is to separate them, get them fixed, and THEN bond them, but my breeder is planning to ship them in the same crate.

The bunnies are 11 weeks old (about 3+ months), and the guy states; They are too young to breed so the one pet crate will be fine.... Most rabbits need to be at least 5 months old and then some to breed. Mostly about 6 months actually.

Is this right? I don't want to know the reccomended age for breeding, but the actual age in which a doe becomes able to be impregnated, or the age a buck has to be to impregnate the doe...

Is it possible for her to get pregnant during this time?

Thanks in advance,

-Nora

What breed are these bunnies? Some breeds mature faster than others.

You said the bunnies are 11 weeks, which would make them less than three months old- not 3+. If this is the correct age, they should be fine. If they are actually over three months old- there is a risk of your doe being able to become pregnant, but I would say it isn't too great.

It would be ideal to have them seperated.

Wow! 9 weeks! I think that would probably be a pretty rare case, but it is possible.

It might seem like an odd question to ask the breeder, but if the bucks testicles haven't descended yet- then there shouldn't be a chance for him to impregnate the doe.

Are they currently seperated? If the guy thinks that they are too young to breed, and has them kept together, then it is possible that the doe is already pregnant.

But, yeah, I wouldn't risk it. Some rabbits have gotten pregnant very young.

Rachel.

They're dutches. They'll be about 12 1/2 weeks by the time I get them, then a week or so after that they're going to be fixed. Add a couple more months and I'll bond them.

Sorry about the math stuff-up, I did it in a rush.
I'll ask him to divide the carrier, seeing as how they are $60 AUD each, and the total already is $260...

I will definately ask him about the testicle thing, (gee, that was very odd to write out!) I don't think that he has kept them together, mostly just in same-sex groups with the rest of their siblings.

Thanks.

It depends. When you get them, check to see if the male's testicles dropped. If they didn't, no problem. If one or both did, then I would keep an eye on her and make an appointment at the vet if you see signs that she indeed may be pregnant. The buck could also be bonded to her and not mate her. It happens. I currently have 10 week old Dutch right now and I weaned them last week. So far, no testicles. I have also had some drop early (around 10 weeks).

Sharon

If you have appointments to get them spayed/neutered the week after you get them, you shouldn't have to worry. Unless you're against spay/abortion. Spays during pregnancy are safe until the doe is close to delivering, and even then the vet can still do it. Sometimes it's necessary for stuck kits, etc.

Congrats on your soon-to-be bunnies!

Wow, I didn't know that and it's extremely helpful! I think you may have just solved my problem!

Huge thanks to you, naturestee. Problem solved!
(Thanks to everyone else, too!!)

Latest posts

Back