Re occuring problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voldii

Reaction score
You might remember my topic about having a rabbit who I thought had a heart attack, well the same rabbit (my 7 y/o dwarf called Midnight) has had another one today. It's now the second one he's had, a couple of months after the last. It happened last when I brought him into the garage to clean his bum (I do this because he sits in his poo, no matter how many times a day I clean him out). His eyes were half shut, they went black and it was although he'd lost control of his body. You suggested it was stress from being inside (he hates being inside, he's lived out all his life). Just now I was cleaning his bum outside when he did it again. I put him back in his shed (he lives in a 2 floor shed because he loves it) and stood and watched helplessly. I couldnt go near him, but I wanted to check he didnt hurt his head. He tried to stand up, but it was 5 minutes before his body wpuld let him. I cant take him to the vets, he gets stressed travelling. What is it and what can I do to help him? :(

Is he fussy/squirming when you carry him?
I ask this because my rabbit has the exact same physical reaction - but it's because she falls over and pulls a muscle in her spine. Is it possible this is what your bunny is doing?
When you're carrying him, or when you put him down, is he kicking and flailing around in a way that might pull a spinal muscle?

Call around to a lot of vets or vet schools in your area. You might find one who makes house calls.

Erm, he's not squirming when I am carrying him, that's the strange part. He doesn't like being handled, but he doesnt fidget or anything. It happens just when he is sat in my arms perfectly still, the reaction is sudden and not brought about by anything I can think of (apart from stress). I dont think it's him pulling a muscle in his spine, he isnt doing anything which could result in a pulled muscle. It's not really that he is kicking, his head and legs get tucked up so he goes into a ball shape and he just starts rolling around because he cant straighten his legs out and put his head back in order to stand up. :( But thanks for the suggestion I'll try and find someone to ask about it, I'm hoping it is not something serious. :/

It sounds like your rabbit is having seizures. Try to get video of these attacks and post them as that will help us see what exactly your bunny is doing.

But yes it does sound like he is having seizures. I would ask around to vets and vet schools and find out from them.

I hope that it isn't seizures as these are very serious. But if it is seizures, I hope you find something that works for your rabbit and your rabbit lives a long beautiful life.

I don't have any vet people to ask around my area but theres a vets within a 2 min drive from me and its so expensive but I'll transfer him there, make sure I get a video of the seizures and show them and you. I'm quite worried about him now :(

I don't know if its possible, but rather than seizures it looks to me like he is having epileptic fits. Should I never pick him up again to avoid these seizures/fits or try and pick him up and if he does it again film it.and take him straight into the vets? :/

Epiileptic fits are seizures. You need to find out what the cause is. It may be an infection of some kind or stress or several other things. The only way to know is for a vet to check. You will probably need to medicate.

Oh sorry, shows how much I know doesnt it. I'll take him to the vets, byt in a couple days, he's still really scared and stressed sice his last seizure and I'm not risking putting him into a carry case while he's in this state, he gets stressed enough in there as it is and he'll end up hurting himself. I'll see how he is tomorrow and update you on what the vet say and how he is.

I can understand that you don't want to stress him out anymore than he already is, but like I said in my previous post, seizures are very dangerous for rabbits. I think that the stress from a car ride would be less dangerous than him having another seizure at night and not be able to make it through it.

Prince was a little off the night before he passed away, didn't think anything of it because he usually bounces right back to himself. Well he didn't. I found him laying face in the corner of the cage and Sweetie at the other end. I took him out and he was basically lifeless. I rushed and called the vet and they said to bring him in immediately, which I did. About an hour later Prince passed away. He was seizuring and I tried to get him to relax, I even talked to him gently telling him that I love him and such.

When a rabbit goes through a seizure it is not like us humans who will come out of it the first time. Rabbits who have seizures may or may not come out of them. The first one can kill them.

Please get your rabbit to the vet. Seizures are not a wait and see thing.

So yeah sorry forgot to update you, the vets said if they were to do a blood test, apart from it costing us a lot of money it will most likely cause him to have another seizure, and the vets didn't want to risk it given his age. The vets said the seizures will have been triggered by stress, so avoiding stressful situations would be all we can do. There was no point giving anything to relieve the pain, since he wasnt experiencing any pain as he is fine straight after his siezures, he eats and drinks normally so it is unlikely to have been caused by anything other than stress. So it's good news, and Midnight is fine and hasn't had a seizure since. :D

Latest posts

Back