Re-introducing a pair together??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatieRenee33

Reaction score
I need some advice, Yesterday I went to put Willow in the outdoor run with her buddy Thunder who has been with Willow before the babies, thinking everything was going to be fine. Well I watched Willow go over to Thunder, Thunder was just laying in the sun and all of a sudden fur went flying!!!!:?:shock: I immediately grabbed Willow, and took her out. Thunder wasnt putting any weight on her back leg at first ,but now she's using it I think Willow prolly just kicked her durning there scuff.

Any ideas on how I can buddy them back up together? Once the babies are all sold and I am keeping one, I will have three females that I'm hoping will be ok with each other in the big pen.

You need to bond them properly, because just putting them together, as you found out, didn't work.

It needs to be done on neutral territory. Ideally, all parties also need to be fixed. A smaller space is better.

Did you see who started the fight? How old are the babies? Does mum still live with them? Were they nearby?

There is a link in the Bunny 101 forum about bonding bunnies so it would be worth checking them out.

Thunder and Willow have been together almost a year prior to me taking Willow out when she had the babies.

Willow started it, Thunder kinda mounted Willows head. I think Willow was just kicking her off her head, The fight only lasted a few seconds but I didnt want to take the chance of them having another one.

Willow still lives with the babies, they are 5 weeks old so Willow and Thunder have been separated for those weeks. I have there hutches next to each other at night and they go in the big outdoor pen during the day. When I put Willow in the pen, the babies where on the other side of the barn in the hutch.

I would completely keep them apart until the babies are weaned and then maybe two weeks later, to give Willow's hormones a chance to settle.

Then I would go back to basics, of short dates on neutral territory.

Do you intend to get them spayed? That would also make bonding easier.

The baby won't be able to go anywhere near them until she is through adolesence (and preferably spayed) really because there is a large chance of fighting, unless she stays with Willow and you leave Thunder by herself, but even that can potentially lead to fighting still, between mother and daughter.

I dont intend on getting any of them spayed anytime soon.

So I should re-introduce Willow w. thunder 2 weeks after the babies are weaned, and then I cannot put Esme in with them at all until shes.....how old??

Is there a particular reason you are holding off on spaying them?

There is a chance you won't be able to rebond them at all, you might even face having three separate rabbits, so do be aware of that.

Your choices are to keep Willow with a daughter and see how they go, or to separate Willow and daughter and try rebonding Willow and Thunder, and then when Esme is maybe 6 months old, then try her with them.

You might find it is very volatile because they will all be intact, especially in spring weathers. You might want to try your bondings in autumn because that is supposedly the time that rabbits are most agreeable to new bonds.

Ok so I can keep Willow and Esme together and then try putting them in w. Thunder when Esme is older and that will be around Fall.

We arnt spaying b.c right now we dont have the money, and Thunder is 10 yrs old and Mom doesnt see the point to spay her that late in age.

Just be aware that Willow and Esme could potentially fight (I had a mother and daughter do just that, although some can obviously be fine). Just get some extra accommodation ready, just in case.

I understand your reasons for not spaying Willow and Esme rigt now, and certainly Thunder! That's pretty impressive about Thunder :D That's a great old age to get to!

I know I was really surprised when my aunt said she was 9 yrs old when she came to live with me and that was last year!!!

Latest posts

Back