Rats and skin problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meganc731

Reaction score
Hey all,

We've been thinking about getting the kids a hamster since ours died afew months ago. I found out today that one of the Petco's in our areatakes in unwanted small animals and adopts them out. They can't takeany money for these ones, they're just trying to find them good homes.So we went there to see if we coud find a hamster and ended up fallingin love with a rat instead. This is our first rat so I didn't know awhole lot specifcally about rats. Tonight after we got him home andsettled I was scratching around his back and neck and I found somescabs. I'm so freaked out!!! I know that he was brought in with 2 or 3other rats, so it's possible that he was attacked. But I've beenreading what else can cause it and it looks like mites and ringworm arethe two most likely. Is there any way to tell the difference?? I'mreally worried that the mites will be passed on to our other animals,or that me and the kids might get ringworm. I think I need to call thevet tomorrow. In the meanttime if anyone out there has any info I'dappreciate it. I'll also be posting on the regular board to see what Ican give the rabbits for mites.

Thanks!
Megan

Here's some pics of ringworm in rats: (Probably not it)

http://ratguide.com/health/figures/dermatophytosis_figure_1.php

Here's a mite infestation pic: (could be it)

http://ratguide.com/health/figures/ectoparasites_figure_1.php

Here's a typical bite wound:

http://ratguide.com/health/figures/bite_wound_figure_2.php

There's lots of treatment info on this site. (Note that ratmites and lice can't live on humans, if that's any consolation).

Here's the general page with treatment.

http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/ectoparasites.php

And here's just a few excerpts from the site: (best to go through the whole thing).

Clinical Signs
In cases where infestation is present, may see intense itching withpersistent scratching, loss of hair, ulcerated skin, abrasions or scabsthat can be seen more commonly on the neck and back of shoulders.

With fleas, may see actual presence, or their droppings appearing as dirt particles.
With lice, may see light tan, brown, or reddish color “dots” on skin,or presence of silvery colored nits attached to hair shafts .
With mites, may see a fine bran like substance on the skin and fur, andin sarcoptid or sarcoptid like species, see crusted red or yellowishlesions to the auricle or pinna of the ear and on the nose, along withsmall reddish bumps to tail, genitals, and feet.

Treatment
For mites and lice
Treatment with oral dosing ofIvermectinnoted to be less stressful to rats and mice. Incidences of adversereactions have been reported when drug has been given by injection inrats. Alternative to injection of Ivermectin is topical dropapplication behind the ear.
or
Ivermectin (sold as horse worming paste) given orally: brands Equimecin Australia, Equimectrin, Equalvan, Rotectin 1, and Zimecterin in theU.S., where the active ingredient ivermectin is - 1.87%.

For fleas, mites (other than demodectic mites), and lice
Topical dosing with Selamectin (Revolution), a derivative of Ivermectin, labeled for use in kittens.
Topical application of Selamectin, recommended less stressful for rats than other injectable treatments.

For treatment specific to stubborn demodectic , notoedres, and sarcoptid mite infestation
Topical treatment of Mitaban (amitraz) may be considered. It isrecommended to discuss with your vet before attempting to use thistreatment. Ivermectin is considered to have a wider margin of safety.

For more information on the use of Ivermectin, Selamectin, and Mitabansee Rat MedicationGuide.
For additional treatment of Mites, Lice and Fleas, a spray, shampoo, ordip sold for kittens or puppies that contains 0.05% pyrethrin can beused for rats every 7 days for 4 weeks.
Treat all rats at the same time, clean all cages, bedding and toysthoroughly. Disinfecting with bleach can be very effective, but be sureto rinse cage and articles well and allow to dry before returning ratsto their cage.
Clip toenails of rear feet to prevent increased trauma to lesions from scratching.

Check out the Rat and Mouse Club of America: http://rmca.org/

They have a very informative site, links, and forum with a lot of great advice from fellow rat owners :)

From what I understand, mites and ringworm are definitely your mostlikely causes, though a diet too high in protein can cause somescabbing :?

OMG thank you thank you thank you!!! I was upall night trying to get more info to decide what it could be and Icouldn't find anything useful. After looking at the pics, I think it'sprobably mites. I'd rather have it be mites than ringworm. At least thespread of mites can be controlled. If one of the kids got ringworm,they could pass it on to other kids at school. I'm somewhat relieved.

Here's a pic of our new rat Target:

IMG_0453.jpg

And his skin, not sure if there's enough detail:

IMG_0451.jpg

Thanks again,
Megan

Back