Rat repellents and house rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northerndancer

Reaction score
Hi

Just wondering if anyone could help.

Tonight I was in my kitchenwith my bunnies, (they are out24/7 and have a food bowl on the floor near the hutch). WellIlooked round and therewas a big fat brownrat sitting in the food bowl, eating the rabbits food!:shock:.!!!!

I nearly died. I think it got in whenthe garage door was openearlier aswe live near an industrial estate and there areprobably rats in the factories nearby.We trapped it in an old catbasket and released it outside away from our house.

But I wanted to get one of those electric sonic things that repels miceand rats and I wondered if anyone has used one safely with rabbits?

Do you think the smell of the rabbits encourages rats in?

Anyone any tips? I would prefer to deal with the rats humanely ratherthan traps or poison (obviously I would move the bunnies upstairs if Ihad to use traps or poison).

best wishes

Liz

I don't think the sonic things are great withbunnies since they have different hearing capabilities... we may not beable to hear it, but it might be within a frequency that will botherthe rabbits and cause them stress.

I would get a bunch of those humane traps - the ones where themouse/rat runs in and the panel flips up so they can't get backout... those are safer to use around the bunnies.

We had mice at the beginning of the winter and we caught a couple inthe humane traps (and I have to admit, after a couple weeks and therewere still mice, I pulled out the bad traps and put the bunnies awaybecause by that point I was more concerned with health and the safetyof the bunnies than the mice).

Also, in the mean time, make sure their area is clean and there is nomouse poop hanging around in their water or food dishes...

How big are the rats? Do you think they are a threat to the bunnies at all?

Thanks honey pot.

I've thrown away the food bowl and given the area a good clean.

It was ayoung rat,smaller thanthe size of a tennis ball when it was sitting down.

I dont think that there was a threat to the bunnies from what I saw. Mybunnies are quite large and they just sat there totally unfazed.

I'll try and get some humane traps I think.

Also we have a cat (that gets on fine with the rabbits). I didnt wantto let her kill the ratlast night, but I thinkI'llput her down in the garage area for a few hours and let her investigateif theres any more. At least thats nature.

best wishes

Liz

Latest posts

Back