Rat help please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetie

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a rat with a big lump on her side, the rat can walk but she falls over most if not all the time. Her left eye looks infected, like pink eye. Also, Minnie Mouse looks like she is going bald. Not sure what brought it on but Minnie Mouse, the rat's name and the one who isn't doing well, is housed with another rat named Stinky, who fights with Minnie Mouse most of the time. My friend is thinking about separating the two rats and seeing if that helps Minnie Mouse to get better. What else can my friend do to help his rat get better? She is eating and drinking, she is a fancy rat, not sure how old she is.

Are there any rat owners who can help? Please help. My friend and I are both hoping that Minnie Mouse isn't too bad off to get treatment. I put my hand in the cage and she was nipping me, not biting me, and trying to climb on me. Of course I had my hand covered with my jacket. Minnie Mouse is the mellower one of the two. Stinky bites.

Again, are there any rat owners? Please help, my friend really wants to save this rat.

Vet trip, first off. Also, can you grab a few pictures? It's possible Minnie may have mites, which might look as though she's being beaten up, and also might explain why she's touchy about being picked up. Just one theory.

Is Stinky a male or female? When you say her eye looks pink, what do you mean? Eyelids? Does she have a head tilt?

Yikes! Poor Minnie Mouse. I definitely agree that a vet visit is in order. How old is Minnie Mouse? She probably has a tumor :( Ratties are very prone to tumors, though only one of my 9 ever got one. The good news is that if she's in good enough shape otherwise, the vet can often operate to remove the tumor. She would have to get the conjunctivitis or whatever the eye problem is under control first, and the possible mites. Poor dear sounds like a mess!

Do Stinky and Minnie Mouse ever snuggle or act nice with each other? I've had rats that fought a lot but never injured each other and still loved each other and snuggled together. Fighting isn't necessarily a terrible sign as long as they're nice to each other at other times, but if one is hurting the other, they definitely need to be apart.

Stinky is a female. Minnie Mouse is the one with the lump on her side and the eye problem. Minnie Mouse does not look like she has head tilt. The eyelid look pink, around her eye.

I will see if I can't get some pics tonight when I get home.

My friend is going to go to Petco and see if they will see Minnie Mouse, but if not, I did mention a couple vets around here that see rats. I just hope Minnie Mouse isn't too far along to be treated. I had my hand covered in the cage and she nibbled and tried to climb on my hand. Minnie Mouse is the mellower rat of the two.

Stinky is doing great, there isn't anything wrong with her.

I am not sure about age as my friend got them from the pet store.

I will let my friend know your comments tonight. I was thinking vet also. Anything else would be appreciated.

Minnie Mouse does scratch a bit though I think. I saw her scratch and she scratched like she had fleas. If she does have mites or fleas, what can be used on her that is safe to use on rats? Will Stinky have to be treated also, even though she doesn't have any problems?

Honestly, I don't think Petco will be able to help and the trip will be stressful to Minnie Mouse. Plus the rats for sale at Petco could be exposed to her illness.

The pet store will probably just use or tell your friend to use 'bird mite spray' which is toxic.. As well as almost every other kind of pet store flea/mite product.
Rats can have kitten revolution just like rabbits. Sounds like mites(which requires you treat both even without one having symptoms but there'll be plenty in the tube). You can only get it from a vet, which should be easy even if there is on;ly cat/dog vets near by but she'll need to go in to a vet to get that eye looked at as well as that tumor.

Yeah, just a drop of revolution will kill mites, but if she has scabs she might carry on scratching for a bit. Does she have scabs? If there is no blood, then she and Stinky are probably just play-fighting. If Stinky is female, then her biting is likely just social issues; how long has she had them, and has she always bitten? Does she draw blood?

She should try force-bonding; handling her every day, whether she likes it or not. Put her in her sweater, or something, so she gets used to being around humans. A well socialized rat should not bite.

Anaira wrote:
Yeah, just a drop of revolution will kill mites, but if she has scabs she might carry on scratching for a bit. Does she have scabs? If there is no blood, then she and Stinky are probably just play-fighting. If Stinky is female, then her biting is likely just social issues; how long has she had them, and has she always bitten? Does she draw blood?

She should try force-bonding; handling her every day, whether she likes it or not. Put her in her sweater, or something, so she gets used to being around humans. A well socialized rat should not bite.

Stinky has always bitten and does draw blood. I have been bitten by her, this was when I was putting the waterbottles back in the cage after filling them with clean water. Don't worry I am just fine, I washed and cleaned my hands especially where Stinky bit me, she bit me on my ring finger, and I called my friend. My friend is the maintenance guy that works at the apartment complex I live at. He has had the rats for, I think a couple years.

So it could be social issues with Stinky, the reason why she is biting.

No Minnie Mouse does not have any scabs at all. I will try to get a pic of Minnie Mouse as soon as I can and post it here for you all to see if possible.

Latest posts

Back