Rascally new mini lop need help (breedworthy?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vee

Reaction score
I just adopted a brown 7 week old mini lop bunny. He is a handful, a regular houdini, who can manage to get out of every enclosure I have tried. I can hold him for about 10 seconds and then he starts wriggling free. I put my 4 month old female lop in with him to see how he would react and found out that he is sexually precocious even though I thought he was too young and innocent. Boy, was I wrong. The female was benign and didn't react, but I quickly took her away. Do you think this feisty new one can be tamed with much love and food? I plan to breed him when he's of age as we raise lop ears. Any suggestion will be much appreciated. All my other buns are docile and the sweetest loving buns anyone could wish for. Is this a behavior characteristic one that can be passed on genetically, and is it possible that it could be transmitted to buns that he fathers in the future? He's adorable and I so wish he can be calmed down through training.

I do strongly believe that personality is passed down through generations. However, it sounds like your bun is more mischievous than he is aggressive! If you continue to work with him, he may calm down with age. You mentioned he is only 7 weeks old, which is still quite young for a bunny and their personalities can change. I myself has a Houdini on my hands, I empathize that it can be frustrating at times, but with hard work and nurturing love their personalities can alter a bit. To give you hope, my Houdini is now a successful parent and doing a great job raising her babies! After working with her for nearly 9 months, she no longer has the drive to jump high cages or chew her cage apart. She still has spells where she is very destructive, but you just have to work with that and persevere ;)

Also, you mentioned he's already wanting to breed! If I were you, I would look at this as a good thing because you do not want bucks in your herd that are not eager to breed. If he was a pet, that would be another thing...

Back