random tilting of the head?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belle seems to be doing alot better :biggrin2:

She's eating more, pooping, drinking water. I'm not sure if I should take her off medication though. Nor am I sure if I should be syringe feeding her if she's eating by herself. I'm kind of afraid to stop either of them because I don't want her to get really sick again. :?

So glad she's doing better:)!

Are you still going to have the xrays done on her teeth? It totally sounds like that's what it is that's keeping her from eating hay and pellets. I wouldn't take her off her meds in case it is her teeth and having the meds is keeping her eating what she is.

Oh yeah, I definitely still want xrays done on Belle's teeth. Her vet, however, says that in order to do that, Belle would have to be given an anesthetic which could make her stasis worse, so she thinks that doing it now may not be the best idea... :? Is that true? Could it make Belle worse off than she is already?

Chandie, I'm actually not sure on that one. I suppose coming off the anestetic could make her not eat for a bit, so that could be a reason, but honestly, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else might know.;)

Well, I am completely happy to say that Belle has been eating like a cow for the past couple of days, just like she used to. :biggrin2:I will be bringing her to the vet hopefully by tomorrow or Friday for a check-up and to talk about doing an x-ray for her teeth and the ultrasound. I've been saving money for both of these things, and I'm pretty sure I've got enough for both now. :)I am a bit hesitant to have the x-rays done though- I still don't know whether the anesthesia could cause her to become ill again. :?Any thoughts? Should I go on with the x-rays anyway? should I wait and see if she continues to eat and drink on her own??

At the moment, though, I am completely over-joyed that she seems to be her self again! Thanks for all the support everyone!! I know that without RO's help, I probably would have lost her... I owe RO so much. Hopefully by the end of this week I can make a donation. :biggrin2:

:pinkbouce::dancingorig::rofl::thanks::bunny18:yahoo:

belle.jpg

I know this is an old pic, but it's my favorite! :)

I also had much help with this picture from picnik.com. I am not all that artistic unfortunately, but I wanted to share it anyways.

Very very cute bun :D

I have sort of jumped into this "cold " having to do some reading of previous pages so I may not have all the facts correct.

I would do as your vet suggests re. the x-rays if you have a really knowledgeable vet.

If your vet feels that you should wait with the anesthesia you probably should .

I have had a lot of major dental work done on Beau ,my holland lop, by an animal dentist who is rabbit saavy.

Since he uses a mask he has total control over bringing Beau in and out of consciousness. For ex. he can put Beau "out" to pull a tooth, take the mask off, do something else and then reapply the mask and then put him under again .

Beau has never had any issues with stasis from anesthesia.

On the other hands the shelter female rabbits often have some difficulty eating and pooping after spays because the surgeries are more prolonged and the anesthesia injectable and this is another vet clinic altogether

I would have some concerns that your vet is concerned re. the anethesia

dental x-rays and an ultrasounds do not seem like they would require to much anesthesia

maybe you can fill me in a little on what I've missed re. Belle's original stasis and your most recent vet

I can fill you in. No problem. :)

Well, back in April, I awoke to find Belle tilting her head to right, and upon further inspection, I found that she hadn't eaten nor pooped. Since her then regular vet couldn't see her, I had to bring her to the emergency vet, Tufts, which is supposed to be one of the best. They ended up sending her home with Panacur, saying that it "seemed" like she had E. Cunuculi and if she still hadn't eaten, to take her to her regular vet the next day. The next comes, and she still hadn't eaten or pooped. I brought her in and she was hospitalized for a couple days. When I picked her up, I was told that Belle was having GI Stasis, and she wasn't sent home with meds. A couple days after that, I called her then regular vet's office and told them that Belle really wasn't making any progress and actually seemed worse, and of course, they couldn't take her in. I called another vet, her now regular vet, and made an appointment there. She was once again hospitalized, and the vet said that Belle was suffering hypomotility. She was also sent gome with Propulsid, Lactulose, Meloxicam, Baytril, Flagyl. Since then Belle's had her ups and downs; she was hospitalized once more, she's been syringe fed four times a day up until very recently, she's been poked and prodded, and she's had a bunch of xrays of her stomach area. Though at the moment she's still eating just like she used to, drinking water and she's playful.:biggrin2:

I hope that helped. :)

And you're welcome!:p I thought I added it to Belle and Necro's blog, but if not, I can.

This is what I think that I would do but is only my opinion.

The vet that is treating her hypomotility sounds to me like he knows what he's doing.
based on the drugs he gave her and also the instructions he gave you.
If he wanted to dox-rays and an ultrasound now I would trust his judgement.

But if he feels that it would be better to wait awhileuntil she is absolutely and totally stabilized and then do them laterI would wait.

If she is eating everything including hay then that is positive.
I'm glad that she has come so far :D

angieluv wrote:
This is what I think that I would do but is only my opinion.

The vet that is treating her hypomotility sounds to me like he knows what he's doing.
based on the drugs he gave her and also the instructions he gave you.
If he wanted to dox-rays and an ultrasound now I would trust his judgement.

But if he feels that it would be better to wait awhileuntil she is absolutely and totally stabilized and then do them laterI would wait.

If she is eating everything including hay then that is positive.
I'm glad that she has come so far :D

I completely agree with everything you've said. :)

Belle's appointment is next Thursday, unless there's an emergency and she needs to be seen asap.

I'm going to ask her vet whether she thinks giving Belle the anesthetics for the xrays and the ultrasound are a good idea, and I will trust her judgement. :)

As always, I will keep you all posted. :biggrin2:

Well, Belle is fine. :)She's been eating on her own for a little over a week.

I talked to the vet about the ultrasound and she doesn't see a reason to do it. The thing that kept showing up in the radiographs was a small bit if calcification. (sp?) She also ruled out the possibility that it was in her bladder because she never had any symptoms of any type of bladder infection.

As for the xrays for her teeth, she wants to make sure that Belle is 100%better before she does them because the anesthetics can make GI problems worse.

Hi

I'm new to the group but wanted to say I'm really pleased to hear that your bunny Belle is getting over the headtilt.

My Lara went through this a while back, so wanted to offer my support.

Glad she's on the mend!

Back