Random Bunny Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
Hey ya'll - Recently I posted a thread about my bun molting (I didn't know why the heck he was losing so much hair!) And the update is that, well, he doesn't look so mangy anymore; he just looks like he's got a skirt on - meaning I'm waiting for him to shed his bottom coat. He's got a couple of bald spots, and I'm not exactly sure why. Anyways, here are some following questions:

- He looks to have dandruff looking stuff on the tops of his ears, and I found some areas on his coat. I know that this could be mites? But I am not sure how he could have gotten them, because he doesn't go outside...and he doesn't seem to be itching more than the usual. Also, the insides of his ears still look healthy.

- I believe he does have fleas (this, I think he got from my roomie's dog that lives out in the barn, but she does bring him in sometimes - this aggravates me, esp. if she is not treating him for fleas! I don't know how else my bun could have gotten fleas? I've already found two on him, or maybe it was just one - well it's down the toilet now.

- There is a spray at the LPS that is made for critters that helps get rid/prevent mites and fleas; should I trust this product? Or should I go to a vet?

- And lastly, this has nothing to do really with health, but how come my bun falls asleep when I hold him like a baby? He automatically closes his eyes, and if he weren't breathing, he'd look like he died! Holding him like that won't hurt him will it? 'Cause he for sure looks adorable nevertheless!

You would be best to go to the vet and see what they would recomend to treat for the mites we use Ivomec and I think that would treat for fleas too but am not 100% sure. We also use a product called Dynamite which you can dilute and apply to the coat which mites and stuff do not like.

As for the falling asleep on you he must feel really comfortable around you to do that :)

Falling asleep in your arms...what my daughter has termed, 'ultra-baby bunny mode'...not sure why they trance out like that - the only thing I could come up with is when they're tiny little babies, they have to flip over on their back to nurse from mom, so maybe being held snuggled in your arms, as you'd hold a baby, puts them into that 'baby-mode' mind-set.

"I love holding him like a baby!"
:p I agree - I've only had 2 rabbits that would allow me to hold them like that for any length of time, though - my 1st rabbit, Dixie (female Chinchilla Rex) and Harry our male ND.

Latest posts

Back