Random brownish pee puddles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elentari

Reaction score
Hi. I feel like everytime I post on here it's because of an issue. anyway, has anyone's rabbit ever left orangey brown pee stains outside of their litter box?

The first month I had Nimue she didn't do this and then a little over three weeks ago she started leaving spots like this out of her litter box.

I took her to the vet and since she's never been handled he went with the assumption she has a bladder infection and pit her on antibiotics for 2 weeks. During the first week she kept leaving the stains, then into the second week of antibiotics they petered out. The 28th qas the last day of the antibiotics and then rhis started back again the 30th.

I know rabbit urine can be a number of colors, but I'm concerned because for a month there was none of this, and then suddenly pee puddles. Nothing about her diet has changed, she's eating and drinking normally. Energy normal. All things normal except the random pee.

I'm also attaching a picture of a another pee stain (she did this three times before my dumb brain was like, put her litterbox where she clearly wants it) but it looks like a normal color and is like, an intentional pee. After I moved her litter box here this stopped which makes the orange color more concerning to me since it feels accidental.

Her foster family said they never saw this, but when I was cleaning out her house they had for her, there was a dried brownish sludge stain, so I'm going to assume she did that they just never noticed.

Attachments

• 20230814_011503.jpg
    20230814_011503.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_214430.jpg
    20230813_214430.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230902_123239.jpg
    20230902_123239.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230902_123302.jpg
    20230902_123302.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230814_011448.jpg
    20230814_011448.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
oh we figured this out from a vet, its dehydration. sometimes she'll drink out of one bowl, then ignore it and drink out of the other one. so i have a few more extra bowls around.
didn't know a rabbit could just get bored of drinking out of a certain bowl, even with fresh water.

Sorry your question was missed, but I'm glad you got it figured out. Our buns can certainly be particular about how they like things 🥰

Sorry your question was missed, but I'm glad you got it figured out. Our buns can certainly be particular about how they like things 🥰
Omg yeah in the moment I was so paranoid since my late rabbit frequently had issues. But I'm glad it got figured out and at least with this post now there's a record of it so incase someone else has the same issue they can see if dehydration is the problem too.

I know right?

She was pretty young when you adopted her from Oscar's Rabbit Rescue, correct?

Did the DVM you saw mention anything wrt sludge? Sounds good that sludge is something on your radar. The vet assumed bladder infection and (perhaps?) skipped a urine culture? Any xrays taken?

Medirabbit.com has graphic images of medical maladies that can arise in a urogenital area. Sludge is more grainy or sandy colored (from a bun in our home) whereas the orange color can come from plant-pigment.

elentari, I hope no suspicion of blood in her pee. It is helpful you are staying in touch with her foster family and conversing wrt Wispa/Nimue

My friend's n/male was peeing inappropriately and small kidney stones were found in his xray. On a Facebook forum the xrays from a DVM show images of a bun with three large bladder stones.

Back