Raisins bad for buns??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hey guys...someone told me the otherday that raisins are bad for buns...FLAT OUT...AT ALL...is this true? Ithought you could give them in serious moderation (like maybe three orfour every couple weeks as a treat, etc.).

So...what's the scoop?

They're bad (poisonous) for dogs, but I don'tknow if that's because of something specific to dog anatomy. Let me seeif I can find out...

Okay, I tried searching for it on the HouseRabbit Society's site, and there are more than a few references toraisins being used as a treat. And a quick Google search revealed muchof the same, so I'm guessing they're okay :)

Just so you know, when eaten in large amounts raisins are toxic to cats and dogs.

Raisins are high in sugar, so should only be used as occasional treats.

Ingested in large amounts, grapes and raisins can be toxic todogs/cats, however small amounts are commonly fed without any illeffects. The problem appears to arise when, in most cases,theanimal gorged themselves on the grapes/raisins.

Pam

Too funny!!:D

I was just thinking that there hasn't been a post in a while about raisins and/or craisins.
MrsD picked up some craisins when she went shopping. It was a nicethought, but I don't give them to the buns anymore. As Pam mentions,they are high in sugar and tend to make chubby bunnies if given inexcess. It's even worse when they add sugar.

When I did give raisins/craisins, I bought them at the farmers market where I could buy sugar-free.

Back to the question....raisins given in moderation are fine.

~Jim

Lol...sorry if this is a topic that is posted a lot. I didn't mean to post something redundant. :? :)

Thanks for your answers, though!

To let you guys know...I only give Maisie raisins (won't be givingFlower any for probably a month or longer...when she's eating enough ofeverything), and I only give her maybe four or five MAYBE once a week(if that). They're only to lure her out when she hasn't comeout of her cage in a while and I miss her. I give them inMUCH moderation. :)

Thanks!! :D

maherwoman wrote:
Lol...sorry if this is a topic that is posted alot. I didn't mean to post something redundant. :?:)

Thanks for your answers, though!

To let you guys know...I only give Maisie raisins (won't be givingFlower any for probably a month or longer...when she's eating enough ofeverything), and I only give her maybe four or five MAYBE once a week(if that). They're only to lure her out when she hasn't comeout of her cage in a while and I miss her. I give them inMUCH moderation. :)

Thanks!! :D

No worries! ;)

Has Maisie tried craisins yet??

Not yet. Is it just that exactbrand, or do I need to get them from somewhere like Trader Joe's(without added sugar)?

JimD wrote:
Has Maisie tried craisins yet??

Any brand that doen't have added sugar is good.

My wife bought OceanSpray and they have added sugar. I guess I'll just have to eat them myself...oh wella.:eats

Ok, great...thanks! :)

Lol...yep, my husband bought some Ocean Spray ones the other day (for us), and they were YUMMY...ENJOY!! :)

JimD wrote:

My wife bought OceanSpray and they have added sugar. I guess I'll just have to eat them myself...oh wella.:eats

I give them craisins every now and again. Notvery often, as I know they have sugar in them. Once every few weeks,and it's just little bit! :) They LOVE them. They go nuts even at thesight of the bag! hehe

Devon and Amber love craisins. And I love themtoo. I usually have about two handfuls for myself whenever I give themone:shock:. I actually have a bag on my desk now:).

JimD wrote:

Oceansprayis the brand that i have found in my supermarketwhere i live,but i have not tried them on craisens yet though,i havn'teven been game enough to try them myself so i have no idea what theytaste like:)

cheryl

They're really yummy...you'll probably like them. :)

cheryl13 wrote:
JimDwrote:

Oceansprayis the brand that i have found in my supermarketwhere i live,but i have not tried them on craisens yet though,i havn'teven been game enough to try them myself so i have no idea what theytaste like:)

cheryl

Latest posts

Back