Raine's eating dog food?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveBunny92

Reaction score
O.k. so...During the day, Raine is free to romp around our house, and even though he has his owns pellets/hay/carrots/lettuce/chews ect. he still heads straight for the dog food!!! He has done this ever since he was a babie, does he just like the taste? (He IS a pig, lol). It dosen't seem to be making him sick or anything but... Ordoes this mean heisn't getting enough of an important vitamin? Please help me out!!! I dont know if this is normal!!! LOL.

Thanx ---Risa & Raine:bunnyheart

Hi Risa, you might want to put the dogfood up somewhere Raine can't reach it, or make that area of the house off-limits to him.
Dogfood is not good for rabbits, they dhouldn't have anything that contains meatproducts, since those proteins are very hard for them to digest. He may not show problems right now, but it can lead to GI , liver, or kidney problems later on.
This is what Susan Brown, DVM wrote about it:
Is it bad for my bunny to snack on dog or cat food?
Yes, it is very dangerous for a rabbit to snack on dog or cat food. These foods are designed for carnivores not for herbivores. They are high in protein and fat as well as carbohydrates in the form of grains, usually corn. Although rabbits can eat small amounts of dog or cat food and appear to be normal, there can be insidious changes that take place over time. Excessive levels of protein can lead to kidney damage; excessive levels of fat and grain-based carbohydrates can lead to obesity. However, by far the most dangerous side effect in rabbits that eat dry dog or cat food is the disturbance of the normal intestinal flora that will ultimately lead to intestinal distress and death. We have seen rabbits become seriously ill and some die within 24 hours of eating dog food due to acute intestinal disorders. Please keep all dog and cat food out of the reach of your rabbit!

So you might want to find a way to keep him out of the dog food ASAP.

Oh my :expressionless

I guess i'll have to start just feedin' the dogs every couple of hours instead of open feeding. I have put it up out of the way, where I thought only the dogs could get it...but bunnies can jump! Shoot, I hope my babie is o.k....I guess I'll get him into the vet sooner than I thought. I hope he is o.k.

Thanx very much!

I'm sure he'll be okay. But like Hazelmom said, just keep it out of his reach in the future. I have a bun that liked to munch on the catfood as well once or twice and they were fine. We just moved the cat dish to the basement.

How much do you feed Raine and how much does he weigh? Then we can help you determine he is getting enough. I'm sure he is, bunnies are indeed little piggies;)!

Well he is about 9 months and he is still pretty small compared to my last bunnie (She lived in the shop :X) And I'd guess he eats about..... 3/4 - 1 cup of pellets a day. I dont know how much hay he eats..not much I don't think, and he eats a large carrot and ALOT of lettuce daily. And of course..usually 1/4 cup of dog food.

Do you thinktheir isanything that his diet is missing?

LoveBunny92 wrote:
Well he is about 9 months and he is still pretty small compared to my last bunnie (She lived in the shop :X) And I'd guess he eats about..... 3/4 - 1 cup of pellets a day. I dont know how much hay he eats..not much I don't think, and he eats a large carrot and ALOT of lettuce daily. And of course..usually 1/4 cup of dog food.

Do you thinktheir isanything that his diet is missing?

Cut out the dog food for sure:p. Then, I think about the right amount of pellets. Probably needs to eat more hay. What I do to trick mine is the next pellet feeding? Don't give much, then they have to eat the hay. It usually works here.

What kind of lettuce?

Hi Risa, I think at 9 months he is probably old enough to start cutting back on pellets, gradually. When they are full grown they don't need as much. Ofcourse, it depends on what breed he is... the big bunnies need more, and they also take longer to mature.
You might try giving him some different kinds of hay, to get him more interested. But I think if you cut out the dogfood, he'll start eating more of his hay.
You can also try giving him different kinds of greens, there are some lists with veggies here:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=13618&forum_id=17
But definately stop him from eating all that dog food.

This isn't really a professional comment but what about a bit of a laugh hey?

Maybe he wants to be a dog?

How sad am I laughing at my own joke.
Ok keep going with your dusscusion.
:p

Yeah, I have already began to take action with the dog food!! LOL. (I'm sure he already thinks he is a big rottie!! :p)......I think tommorow I shall stop by the feed store and pick-up some goodies for my bunnez!!

Oh and thanx, I like hippie names, LOL. My last bunnie's name was Willow.....got that idea cuz she loved her willow sticks!!

Thanx for all your help guyz!! Thank 'dog' I found this website!! :)

Latest posts

Back