RAINBOW BRIDGE (2006 - CLOSED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RO STAFF

Reaction score
[align=center]THANK YOU TO BUNNYMOMMY FOR PROVIDING THIS ORIGINAL POST:

(It says it all)

:rainbow:

Losing a bun is a terrible thing. The feeling of loss can be so overwhelming that we sometimes think that we can't bear it, as if we've lost one of our own dear children.

There is a way though that we can keep them alive in our hearts and memories, secure in the thought that we will see them again one day.

If you've lost a bun, post their name here at the RAINBOW BRIDGE. You can list their date of birth, date of passing, a photo, an anecdote of your time together, anything that will preserve them in all of our memories.

Our love and sympathy to you until you meet again at The Bridge.

AT RAINBOW BRIDGE

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth.
It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors.
Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge, there is a land of meadows,
hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place.
There is always food and water and warm Spring weather.
Those old and frail animals are young again.
Those who have been maimed are made whole again.
They play all day with each other.

Some of them here by the Bridge are different.
These pets were beaten, starved, tortured, and unloved.
They watch wistfully as their friends leave one by one,
to cross the bridge with their special person.
For them there is no one, no special one.
Their time on earth did not give them one.

But one day, as they run and play,
they notice someone standing by the road to the bridge.
This person wistfully watches the reunions of friends,
for during life, this person had no pet.
This person was beaten, starved, tortured, and unloved.

Standing there alone, one of the unloved pets approaches,
curious as to why this one is alone.
And as the unloved pet and the unloved person get nearer to each other,
a miracle occurs, for these are the ones who were meant to be together,
the special person and the beloved pet who never had the chance to meet while on Earth.
Finally, now, at the edge of the Rainbow Bridge, their souls meet,
the pain and the sorrow disappears, and two friends are together.

They cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.

Author - Unknown

Last edited on Thu May 20th, 2004 07:47 pm by BunnyMommy[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]
bunnycloudstop.jpg
[/align]

[align=center][/align]

I wanted to take a moment to write a short note about this for both new members and members who have been around a while.

Our "original" rainbow bridge thread got pretty long....and we felt it would be easier for members to keep track of things if we started a new thread for 2006. It isn't that we want to forget those who have passed on before....it is that it will make things easier for new folks to catch up if they have less pages to read.

On the original thread - there were some good links shared to websites and some alternate Rainbow Bridge poems posted. I am hoping to have time sometime this weekend or Monday to move those posts to this thread so that they will still be available for easy access.

I just wanted to explain to y'all why we started a NEW Rainbow Bridge....I'm thinking that every year we will be starting a new one...

Peg

Dream a DreamMy Lil Girl Hairyette.

I am so sorry that you had to go this way. I am so glad that you did not suffer long and it was only one week. I am glad that I am able to bond with you sweet Baby. Autumn and Patches are looking for you. Go and be with hooman Grandma Shirley she will take care of you and you can be with Holly again. When I got to see you before I sent you to the bridge you were so weak and in so much pain. I am glad that you did not have to suffer at all. I am going to miss your spunky drama queen attitude. Your beautiful long honey hair. That is why daddy named you Hairyette.

I miss you already.

Rest In Peace

Love Mummie, Daddy, Autumn, Patches and Checkers that you never got a chance to marry yet.
SweetHairyette1.jpg

Thank you BunnyDude. Today I am taking down temp cage that she lived it for a few days. It will be hard and I will be spending time with her 2 best friends Autumn and Patches. They are very sad right now. Patches is purring at me cause I am not petting her yet.

Awwww, SPM... :sad:

So sorry Hairyette didn't make it, but very happy and respectful that you had her treated so diligentlyand so quickly so she didn't have a long-drawn out and painful exit from this world.

She's happilybustling around the Rainbow Bridge, you did the right thing.

:hug:

SAS :cry2and PIPP :cry3

To my beloved Benjamin "Benjadad" Sr.:

:rose: It has been a year since you left us for Rainbow Bridge.
I miss you so much, all the love you gave me, the licking and grooming me because I wasn't clean enough for your liking... I know you're happy there, running and playing
in the lush meadows like you wished you could do here on earth with me but could not.
Love you baby!

:rainbow:

Someone sent this story to me today. It's not about a rabbit, but the point made is what's important.....

[align=center]A Dog's Purpose[/align]
[align=left]
Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker. They were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found that he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and I offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for their four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."
[/align]

ForNadezhda, who lost her best friend,Oreo, today.:pink iris: She was nine-years old anda very well cared for little bunny. She will be missed.

We share your pain, Nadia. :cry1 Oreo is pain free and binkying at the Rainbow Bridge. :rainbow:

sas :cry2and pipp :bunny5 (ear at half mast)

My parents decided to 'reward' my brother with a bunny after he had an abcessed tooth taken out. The dentist had a pair of bunnies who were living in seperate cages, and although an inch apart, they stuck their bums against the cage side and managed to make bunny love, resulting in Oreo's litter.

The first time I saw Oreo, I fell in love. Her father was a lop-ear, a gray lop-ear, and her momma was a mean-as-can-be black dwarf with a white nose. Momma bunny was shooing all the baby bunnies inside her hutch, but Oreo kept escaping and being chased back in by mom. When all the babies were placed on a bed, it was obvious that Oreo was the litter of the bunch. Oreo kept escaping, a completely bold bunny unlike her shy brothers and sisters. The dentists daughter used to dress Oreo in barbie clothes, and gave Oreo the name 'stripe' or something.

Oreo lived in a shoebox hutch in the 'Dwarf starter kit' cage we got from Hagen. Oreo was the cutest, a black bunny, with white paws and stripe of white fur around her shoulders and tummy, and a little white nose. I always thought her cutest feature was her lower lip, which was pink with brownish 'cow spots' on it.

My 'dear' brother, of course, soon got over the novelty of a rabbit. She pooped lots and needed someone to clean her cage, and she wouldn't do anything like play ball. Mom took her downstairs, and I took over the bunny-buisness. It certainly made it easier to play with Oreo when I didn't have to sneak into my brothers room!

Oreo lived, and binkied, and was ruler of the gardens. When I'd try to catch her and bring her inside, she would hide under the massive lavender bush. She knew she wasn't supposed to go under the deck or under a pile of boards, but she went there anyway. She used to always sneak up on anyone who was outside, and if you were laying down on your back, she would come and sit on you! When my uncle ed, who isn't the best person ever, picked an onion top and tried to feed it to her, she bit him and drew blood. He was in HER garden, the buttmonkey. Oreo wouldn't eat things from the garden, unless she was handfed. One time, I ran into the house to get some water, came out, and saw a cat trying to stalk my bunny. I ran up and kicked it. Thats right, I kick cats! At least when they're trying to eat my bunny. Oreo bolted when I got near her, but bolted towards me, so I tok her inside and comforted her.

Inside, Oreo was just as naughty. She would find ways to escape her running area, as soon as we found ways to block them. I had a little stuffed lamb toy that she loved to beat up.

Just a few months ago, I started learning bunny language, and had lots of fun 'talking' with my bunny through body language.

As bunny got older, she ran around less and binkied less. She got a bigger cage and a bigger hutch, this time is was padded. While we dropped Oreo off for surgury, we re-covered the box with more wool and padding, which was good since she lay there a lot. The padding felt good on the patch of shaved fur on her tummy.

Her health started to deteriorate one day, so I fed her lots of pieces of lettuce cabbage and carrot, and found that she would eat pellets and hay if I soaked them. I eventually made a slurry, from the advice of a member here, out of cooked pumpkin, pellets, hay and a little bit of banana. She ate it ravenously! She started pooping! The next day though, she deteriorated even more. She began to not have the strength to hold her head up for too long. Aroud 10 to 5 pm, I was stroking her poor little head, when she squeaked. I withdrew my hand, and she arched her back and started gasping. I ran upstairs to tell mom, and ran back down to find bunny, kicking weakly and then stopping laid out on her side like she was just resting. It was so weird to see her little nose not moving. The saddest thing I've ever seen was her eyes as she tried to gasp for breath.

Oreo will be missed greatly. She'll never be replaced, and I miss her so much.

I have been reading your posts in the Infirmary and was hoping that she would make it. Then I logged on and found out she did not. I am so sorry, at least you know that you loved her and you gave her the best life possible. And your last paragraph was the part that really got to me, I can only imagine how it felt to see her like that.

:rip OREO

Awww, thanks. Maybe it's best that Oreo went this way, instead of taking longer and suffering with cancer.

:purplepansy::bunnyangel::pinkpansy:

Bunny liked eating pansies. RiP baby :inlove:

What a wonderful tribute to Oreo. She was greatly loved and I know she will be greatly missed. We're so sorry about your loss....I told Tiny and he even bowed his head for a moment of silence. (Miss Bea tried to bite him at the time and I told her that wasn't nice).

We hope you'll stay around and learn more about bunnies and when you're ready....have another bunny someday!

Peg

Well I will just copy and paste what i already wrote cause I don't know what else to say... :(

This is what happened today (march 14th)around 3:13,I came downstairs where the animals are (in the living room) he was thefirst one I looked at in his cage and I could tell something was really wrong. He was just laying there in his litter box with his head backand his ear sticking out of the cage and he was gasping for air, so I took him out right away and tried to make it easier for him to breath,then I called my family franticly but only my dad was available to get the phone, so I asked if he could take us to the vet right away but he was picking up my sister from work so would be a while and would drive home as fast as he can, well near the end of the call Lucas started twitching his front legs, then he stopped moving and breathing and he was gone. I couldn't believe it, I tried to make him breath again buthe wouldn't. I held him for about two hours until everyone was home, Ididn't know what else to do.

I just can not believe he is gone. Everyone is saying at least he didn't die all alone or on a cold vet table but I feel horrible that he died right in my arms. I can't stop bawling and I feel horribly guilty. He was still eating last night and seemed happy with the attention. He had a vet appointment later in the day but didn't make it. He had a sore near his eye that the vet thought was from Ollie when they met, but I doubt it...he had medicine for that and then the vet wanted to see him today to see him for lumps under his chin and to seeif that is caused by the histeeth

He was the *best* bunny I have ever heard of, ever had, he was everything great you could want in a rabbit... except for his poor health. I can't believe he is gone, I miss him so much already. I don't know what else to say... there is *nothing* in the world bad about him he was just the greatest bunny ever, He was truly an angel.He is not just the best bunny you could want he is the best bunnyrabbit, bestpet animal, bestliving thing you couldhope for, he was the sweetest most kind animal, just endless amount of love

ohh noo that is such a sad thing to hear, im really sorry for you having to lose your bunny, i know how deeply it can really hurt when you have lost something close to your heart, and it just hurts so bad:(

cheryl:pink iris:

Oh Martina, I've been following Lucas's story on the SARSBC board, but I missed this! I'm so sorry!!

:bigtears:

You were taking such great care of him.

I can't even imagine the pain of losing that little guy, especially in your arms. :cry1:

:rip:Lucas.

sas:sad:and pipp :cry2

Back