Rabbits vs Guinea pigs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margalitb

Reaction score
Hello
Here is my situation:

I am currently living in a student apartment at a university, and need a service animal for depression/anxiety; I am considering either a dwarf rabbit (holland lop, polish, or mini rex) or a guinea pig. I have researched them both quite a bit, and I already have experience caring for guinea pigs. I know that guineas prefer to be in pairs -- this is a downside, because I can only have one animal. I only have a maximum of three classes in one day, so I would have plenty of time to spend with him/her. I am also financially able to care for one and provide any medical needs. He/she would live in my apartment with me for 9 months out of the year.
Here's the challenge: during the summer, I live with my family and our pets -- 2 dogs and 2 cats. The cats are mature and really have no interest in anything -- they completely ignored my hamster. The dogs, although small, are not terriers or anything, so they are not bred to kill small animals (one is a cavalier/bichon mix and the other is a cavalier/poodle mix -- they are "flushers"). However, I know that both the cats and dogs pose a potential threat, so I would be certain to attempt introduction very slowly and cautiously. I have a separate room in the house that he could stay in if all introduction attempts failed, though I hope that this doesn't happen because I don't want to make "separate" time for the him and end up not giving him the attention that he needs. We have a decent sized home on 2.5 acres of land that we don't spray with any chemicals (he would live indoors but i'd take him out with me to play) so room isn't an issue.

Here is my question:
Should I get a guinea pig or a rabbit? (I am kind of leaning towards a rabbit at this point, to be honest). What breed of either? What sex?
Thanks for your time and consideration!
M

If you're looking for one as a service animal, I strongly suggest you check out fully grown, already spayed/neutered rabbits at a rescue to get an idea of the personality you're looking for. If you were to adopt a younger rabbit there really would be no guarantees.

As far as the other pets go, I personally never leave my rabbits alone with any of the other animals in our household. They've interacted with dogs under supervision and have met the dogs and cats through a baby gate, but the risk is too high even for an animal that I trust and I wouldn't leave a predator and a prey animal together.

You ask a difficult question, since the answers to both are really sort of personal opinion. I've never owned guinea pigs so can't compare the type of interaction you would get from them. In regards to breed, there are some that are said to be less "lap bunnies" than others. I think netherland dwarf is one, though of course, there are exceptions and I bet there are some super cuddly netherlands out there. A breeder may be able to give you a better recommendation on a relaxed breed.

As for gender, again, personal preference. I don't think it really matters, some say does can be moody, but once again not all are. If you're worried about costs, neutering a male is generally quite a bit cheaper than spaying a female. But all in all, you should choose a rabbit for it's personality and how you get along, not the gender.

Sorry, I don't think I was much help :p

It really is up to you. This is a bit of a bias on this forum as it is a rabbit forum. Both rabbits and guinea pigs can make great pets.
You really do need to think about what you would be doing with the pet you get. If you want something to cuddle and hold a lot, most rabbits aren't too happy with that. It is just being realistic with what you want and what the animal wants.

If you are leaning toward a rabbit, getting an adult is a good idea as you tend to know more about what they are like. Babies can grow a lot and can take more work to get them used to things and they can change as they mature. Getting them spayed or neutered can be expensive as well. If the rabbit is already spayed or neutered, you know what you are getting. Don't focus too much on breed or sex, you might find the perfect rabbit when you least expect it.

When it comes to dogs, it really depends on the dog. Some dogs are curious at first, but soon loose interest while others fixate on the rabbit. You will need to work with your dogs so they know from the start that the rabbit is off limits. Don't leave the dog and rabbit alone unsupervised. It would be a good idea to not have the rabbit and dogs out at the same time until you are comfortable with how they interact and that they are comfortable with each other.

Because you are looking for a service animal I would suggest adopting an older rabbit from a rabbit rescue. You can interact with the buns prior to adopting one and the workers should be able to give you an idea of each buns personality. If you get a young bun it could change.

I would introduce bun slowly to the dogs and cats. If they get along then always supervise their interaction. Some buns may not get comfortable around other animals.

I have had both guinea pigs and now rabbits as pets. In my experience guinea pigs were less of a worry for me as far as health is concerned.

While both rabbits and piggies are fantastic critters (I adore guinea pigs as well, such quirky creatures) I would say, like others have said, adopt an older (1 yr+) rabbit that is already fixed from a rescue.

Again, like other people have pointed out, they are more cemented in their personalities. I've seen a lot of babies that were super sweet and settled into a different personality as they grew older (Same can be said about babies that weren't friendly and got nicer with age). You never really know what you are going to get with the young ones.

Plenty of good advice above. Just introduce the dogs and cats slow.

I'm not sure if the animal is for your depression/anxiety? If yes, have you considered volunteering at a local animal shelter instead of actually keeping one? The only reason I'm suggesting this is because of the potential dilemma you may have between deciding which animal and if it will be safe around the other animals or not.
My local shelter is always in need of volunteers to pet, groom and be with the animals. It can be very rewarding too because shelter animals often feel very stressed out and lack sufficient human interaction.

This way, you benefit from being with the animals and so do they. Not sure if that interests you or not, just a thought:)

I have had both rabbits and guinea pigs (3 rabbits, 6 guinea pigs) and I have to say rabbits win by a long shot. Much more of a personality and a lot more interaction. Plus they're a lot smarter too. They both eat about the same thing so cost is about the same but rabbits are less work BC once they're litter trained all you have to do is clean their litter box out. With guinea pigs you have to clean the whole cage and a store cage is definently not big enough for a guinea pig so its not as small of a job as you'd think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Hi Margalitb! :) I have had both rabbits and guinea pigs in the last few years too. I am not an extremely knowledgeable person for either of these wonderful little animals, but after personally having both - I am getting another bun next week! :) The piggies were adorable and super sweet, but I found them so much more shy, and tended to stick to themselves more. My bunny was always curious and wanted to be with me what ever I was doing, which I found was far more rewarding. With personal experiences, I know everything differs for each individual bunny, but I have found male neutered rabbits to be the friendliest and more docile of the genders! My old male bunny was just like having a little dog around. And I loved him more than anything, he was definitely perfect for making me smile when I was feeling stressed or down. :) As I said, I am definitely no expert, but I hope my opinion helped even a little. I know all bunnies are unique, but you'll always find something to love about every single one! I hope you find the perfect little friend to brighten up every day, even just a little. I can't wait to meet my new baby to do that for me. :)

I keep reading that the lifespan of an indoor, well-kept rabbit can be 10 to 12 years. How long do guinea pigs live? This might be an additional consideration.

I also understand the nature of the support animals give us when we're not feeling well, either physically or emotionally.

Latest posts

Back