Rabbits together?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazybones

Reaction score
Can i keep 2 rabbits of the same sex together ornot??? If anyone has any advice about rabbits i would be very gratefulfor any... on what veg it eats etc... thanks :?

Welcome lazybones,

Two bucks rarely work, but I'm not saying it's impossible.You might wish to read through the following site for moreinformation.http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/BondingRabbits.htm

Personally, I stick with a good qualitypellet feed (gottenfrom a breeder, but you canfindgood ones atfeedstores with at least 18% fiber in it)and timothy hay dietfor my rabbits because of the sugar content in fruits andvegetables. Everything in moderation is the key. Itry to stick to not giving my rabbits treats more than twice or threetimes a week because of their delicate systems.

-Carolyn

I have two does that I keep in separatecages. I let them run around the house together occasionallybut I always have to watch then. They don't really like eachother that much.

:DThankyou...!:D What type of fruit and veg dothey eat.... appart from carrots.... and how much per day etc....? Ireally new to this and need all the advice i can get! :?Thanks

Hello LazyBones,

I would go very easy on the fruits and vegetablesa a Carolyn posted.Carrots are very high in sugar content making them not the best thingto fed your rabbit too often. everything in moderation. Infacteverything a rabbit needs for proper growth and development is providedby a good quality Pelleted rabbit feed Grasshay and Water. Water beingthe most important part of the diet. Without water a rabbit will noteat. Anything other than what I just mentioned should be considered aTREAT and fed as such. That is only ocassionally.Always with a watchfuleye for any changes in the digestive system. If you go to your localpublic library you can find some very good books on the subject: One Iwould suggest is: Raising Rabbits the Modern Way by Bob Bennett. AlsoYour Rabbit a Child's Guide to Raising and Showing Rabbits. By NancySearle. These are a couple of very informative books and are not veryhard reading. I hope this helped alittle.

Dennis,C.V.R.

I would also recommend the House Rabbit Society'swebsite (http://www.rabbit.org/) and The House RabbitHandbook by Marinell Harriman (she goes really in depth, almost toomuch info, on diet and feeding)

As for keeping rabbits together, they are naturally social creatures.In the wild, rabbit warrens my be as large as 100 individuals. I didn'trealize how lonely my lil' guy was until I got him a girlfriend (yes,they are both neutered/spayed). As for rabbits of the same sex, it'scertainly not unheard of, but can be a tad trickier.

If you are considering bonding two rabbits, your local HRS educator will be an immense help.

~M

My twogirls lived together when they were first brought home, until they startedexperiencing fluxing hormones(5 months) and dominantbehavioral (aka mounting one another) tendencies. Unfortunately thisled to stress in the home "environment" and I had to separate them. Toboot, I was tired of the flying pellets, raisins and a floor full ofhay every morning! They are much happier in their own homes, and whenthey come out to play they immediately go to one another, they getalong great they just cant "live together" Sounds like humans doesn'tit?

Until I get home and they are all fixed up...nice way of putting it..they are going to live separatley.

Cher

:)I have 2 sisterswho lived together for the first 6 months untilthey foughtand one ended up in the animal hospital for 3 days. We hadthem neutured and then split their large run down the middle with awire partition. They are fine this way but I once tried themin together again and they immediately set upon each other.The strange thing is that they sit together each side of the wire quitehappily.

Latest posts

Back