rabbits teeth.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juju

Reaction score
can anyone help me? my bunny has got a couple of long teeth, one on the top and one on the bottom,diagonally. i know you can give them willow and apple branches to chew on but does anyone know of anything else? i want a quick solution, i know a vet can clip them but is it possible to do them at home as iwasnt this sorted as soon as possible:? thanks guys

Giving the rabbit items to chew on does generally not wear teeth down that are not correctly aligned - because they are not correctly aligned for proper wear. Yes, you can trim the teeth at home with wire clippers if you are not able to get your rabbit to the vet although this is not preferred to the possibility of splintering the teeth or cutting the tongue.

I agree with everything Pam said. I've a rabbit whose teeth do not grow in properly. It is easy to cut the teeth but try to take it to a breeder or a vet, or someone who has experience doing this and watch how they do it and get some pointers. Nothing beats hands on experience

I have clipped my rabbit's teeth (out of desperation) becauseI could not get to a rabbit saavy vet. There is far less risk to the tooth if it is filed or drilled. Clipping the teeth may fracture it and then cause an infection in the root( as described by Pam)

If the teeth are not aligned correctly they will not grind down proprly no matter what you give the rabbit ..although givng chew toys is still a good idea for the unaffected teeth.

It would be best to have a vet clip them, as others have mentioned. At the very least, have a someone who has done it (maybe a rabbit breeder you might know?) show you how to clip them. It would not be good to just try your hand at clipping them without seeing it done by someone who knows how.

Vet check! You really don't want to mess around with his teeth and end up spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a vet to fix it. Easier and cheaper to have a vet do it. I admit that dental is a "hot button" for me so I may over react, but we've spent around $3,000 on Stella's teeth and will continue to spend, probably $1,000 + per year on her teeth, alone. Her bad teeth are the result of irresponsible breeding, but nonetheless, there could be other issues in your bunny's mouth that you can't see, but a vet would. The absolute best and cheapest thing you can do for you and your rabbit is to go to a rabbit-experienced vet. Really, no kidding. Really. Vet check.

You can see videos of Stella's dental woes here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FastUpOnRabbitCare

My little Dusty has this problem as well. When I adopted him from the rescue I was told his front teeth were pulled. He would need some special care but he was fine. In the past few months, I've spent about $3000 over several visits. His front teeth are growing back and they are unable to wear themselves down. Every few months, Dusty stops eating because his teeth bother him and we go get it addressed. I love my boy and its totally worth the special attention and knowledge the vet provides. His teeth issues turn serious very quick! The last time he had a rear tooth pulled and spurs addressed. I'm afraid he doesn't have many left. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back