Rabbits Overheating?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikoandnestle

Reaction score
Hello. I have 2 holland lop ear dwarf mixes that currently live in our shop outside. I am 100% aware that this is not the ideal setup for rabbits as they are very vulnerable prey animals and should be kept inside in a house but I was unfortunately undereducated when I adopted them. The temperatures this week have gotten up into 100 degrees F which I know is VERY dangerous for rabbits and the risk of heatstroke is very high. We have been trying to do all we can by putting in ceramic tiles that we put in the freezer for a few hours before for them to lay on and misting their ears with cold water but I am afraid we are not doing enough and I don't want my poor buns to suffer :( The situation we are currently in makes it so we are not able to let them live inside with us which breaks my heart but that's just how it is. Is there more things we can do to ensure they will make it through heat of the summer? and it breaks my heart to even say this but would the best thing be to give them back to the rescue so they can live in a family that can better support their needs? We are really trying our best with what we have but I don't want them to be suffering because I don't want to let them go. Although it would be really hard to let them go, I am willing to do whatever is best for their lives longterm. But if there are some things we can do that would allow us to keep them I would love that <3 please give me some help on this.

You can try 2 liter soda bottles filled with water and frozen, and set this on one portion of the tile. This can help keep the tile cool for longer too, so the portion not covered with the bottle will be cool for your bun to lay on. You'll likely need to change out the bottle at least once, as it won't be helpful once the ice has melted. The bottle can get covered in condensation, so if it's causing things to get too wet, you can wrap the frozen bottle in a light cloth to soak up the condensation. Though some rabbits like to lick the cool water off the bottle. Do watch for your buns wanting to chew the bottles so you don't wind up with a flood.

Adding an outdoor fan can help as well, but it shouldn't be directly blowing on your rabbits. Make sure they are out of direct sunlight and there is good airflow where they are. And refreshing their drinking water in a water dish, with cool water several times a day can also help.

If you aren't able to find effective ways to keep your rabbits cool, then yes, it would be kindest to return them for rehoming, and safest. Heat stress can be very dangerous to rabbits and if left uncorrected, can lead to heat stroke and permanent organ or neurological damage. So be very careful and watchful of these conditions. And if there is any sign of heat stress and you can't get their body temps lowered, get them indoors immediately or to a vet if they're at risk of or showing signs of heat stroke.

https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/recognizing-heat-stroke-in-your-pet-rabbit/
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Heat_stroke
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Frozen bottles of water is what I use and heat hasn’t been a problem for my buns

I take like an empty coke bottle rinse it out and put new clean water in then I screw the cap on tight and put it in the freezer, make sure you leave some air in the bottle for the ice to expand into so it doesn’t break your bottle. My bunny’s like to lay next to them and lick cold water off the bottles

I take like an empty coke bottle rinse it out and put new clean water in then I screw the cap on tight and put it in the freezer, make sure you leave some air in the bottle for the ice to expand into so it doesn’t break your bottle. My bunny’s like to lay next to them and lick cold water off the bottles
okay! thank you so much! :)

Latest posts

Back