Rabbits need home... ASAP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepperGrl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just recently started volunteering for my local SPCA here inIndiana. The staff knows that I have rabbits, and have a goodbasic knowledge of them... thanks to everyone on this lovely forum...so they sent me this email in hopes that I could be of somehelp. Knowing that there is no way at present I can take inanymore rabbits, I figured the best way to help is by relaying thisemailto all of you. I would hate to see anythinghappen to these poor bunnies, so if you can help or know of anyone thatmight be interested, please let me know. I am copying theemail belowthat I received from the animal shelter.Please respond and help if you can.

Thanks everyone,

Jamie

Hi,
I know that you (AnimalRights Assoc. calledPAWS)send out e-mails regarding animals who need home and Iwas just wondering if you can help. My name is Logan Jacot, I amsixteen years old, and I am an independent rabbit rescuer. Along withresucing local rabbits I travel hours on the weekends to rescue rabbitsfrom breeders who are going to butcher them. I find most of them homesbut right now I have a population explosion of about 80 rabbits. I amstarting to have some family issues and they want most of the rabbitsout. I have until August 27 (JUST ONE WEEK) to find them homes or I wastold they will take the animals to be butchered. I am willingnot tocharge an adoption fee as long as they go to goodhomes. I do want anything bad to happen to these guys. They have beenmore of a family to me then my own family.

Thanks,
Logan Jacot
New Philadelphia (30 Miles South of Canton) OH
330-343-4778

PepperGrl wrote:
Hi all,

I just recently started volunteering for my local SPCA here inIndiana. The staff knows that I have rabbits, and have a goodbasic knowledge of them... thanks to everyone on this lovely forum...so they sent me this email in hopes that I could be of somehelp. Knowing that there is no way at present I can take inanymore rabbits, I figured the best way to help is by relaying thisemailto all of you. I would hate to see anythinghappen to these poor bunnies, so if you can help or know of anyone thatmight be interested, please let me know. I am copying theemail belowthat I received from the animal shelter.Please respond and help if you can.

Thanks everyone,

Jamie

Hi,
I know that you (AnimalRights Assoc. calledPAWS)send out e-mails regarding animals who need home and Iwas just wondering if you can help. My name is Logan Jacot, I amsixteen years old, and I am an independent rabbit rescuer. Along withresucing local rabbits I travel hours on the weekends to rescue rabbitsfrom breeders who are going to butcher them. I find most of them homesbut right now I have a population explosion of about 80 rabbits. I amstarting to have some family issues and they want most of the rabbitsout. I have until August 27 (JUST ONE WEEK) to find them homes or I wastold they will take the animals to be butchered. I am willingnot tocharge an adoption fee as long as they go to goodhomes. I do want anything bad to happen to these guys. They have beenmore of a family to me then my own family.

Thanks,
Logan Jacot
New Philadelphia (30 Miles South of Canton) OH
330-343-4778
HAngon a minute , I have Issues with things said in this post :

first off is 16 yrs old ,indipendentrescue ( at 16 ? ) 80 rabbits ? Rescuingthem from Breeders? Family issues ?willing to NOT charge adoption for goodHomes?One week to find them homes OR bebutchered ,? How foolish does he thinkeveryone is .

This sounds more like a Back YardBreeeder who has gotten in way over hishead and is looking toget rid of naimals to becausehis parents have gotten sick of footingthe bill . At 16 with out afull time job there is no way in creation he is paying for everything that isneeded for 80 rabbits .

Has Anyone checked on the Validity ofthis email , has anyone goneout to check the conditions ofthese rabbits , I find thisVERY suspicious.

I found this on the internet by tracing the phone number. Yup, a breeder!

Name: Lair of Endangered Breeds
Company Name: Lair of Endangered Breeds
Contact Name: Logan Jacot
Address line 1: 444 3rd Street Northwest
Address line 2:
City: New Philadelphia
State or Province: Ohio
Zip or Postal Code: 44663
Phone: 330-343-4778
Alternate Phone:
Fax:
Email: [email protected]
Description:
We raise america's tenth rarestbreed the American Sable, the second rarest breed the standard Hotot,and America's rarest breed The American.

Thanks Charlotte ,I knew it Smelled the highheaven and not just from rabbitpoop either .

This is the type of person whogiveLigitament Independentrescue's a really bad name .

I just got the email last night when I got homefrom vacation. It was actually forwarded to me by the SPCAhere in Indiana. I didn't check the validity of it because Ididn't have time. I'm glad someone did that... I probablyshouldn't have posted it without checking first but I guess sometimes Ican be naive about things like that... I read that rabbits are going tobe butchered and I hate to hear that. Either way, I hate tohear that 80 rabbits are going to be butchered just because hisbreeding got out of control. Those rabbits should not have tosuffer because of the stupidity of a 16 year old boy... this reallyirks me. I'm the kind of person that wants to save everyanimal even though I know that is completely impossible.Sorry if this rubbed people the wrong way... I didn't know what else todo with an email like this and I still hope some of them can getrescued and taken away from this guy... but that is just me.

Pepper Girl , youdont have to apologise , you didnt knowand the Email wasvery deceptive to start with . Not yourfault . Just that some of us inthe Rescue buisness tend to pick upand call on things like thisquickly because we have seen it so manytimes before , Trust me when I say you really didthe right thing , Get in contactwith the Org. sending out theemail and Give them the informmation Dootsmomprovided let them shut himdown the proper way , Chances are goodits a PLOY to get therabbits into homes etc. SeeIF you say they will beslaughtered you dump youranimals quickly and no Guilt onhis part . The Twerp needsshutting down I agree , Im sure livingconditions for 80 rabbits witha kid tending them isnt the greatest .

I dont want to burst your bubble , Youcannot save them all hon your setting yourselfup for a huge heartbreakthinking this way , be confidentand assured everyone you dosave is a Spot on your heart . Sometimesthe ones you DO save is morerewarding than Failing to save them all .

Feel free to Pm if you need to talk or vent .

Thanks Gypsy,

I've all ready emailed the lady who sent it to me to let her know whatall of you found out. I will see what she replies and I stillneed to get in contact with PAWS who orginally received theemail. I know I can't save them all, but sometimes I stillfeel like I could do more. I'm glad that some of you outthere are responsible breeders making sure your rabbits are well caredfor and go to good homes. I hope this guy get caught and someof the rabbits can be saved. Thanks for understanding.

Jamie

I know this isn't a legitimate rescue.There is a huge flea market down in New Philly where all the puppymills take their sad, sick dogs. I would be willing to betthis guy is one of the local animal millers and not a legitimatebreeder.

It makes me sick that people would do that stuff. Why would a parent let their kid do this?

AW! Jamie, your heart is in the rightplace! Gypsy and Dootsmom-great detective work! Ilearn SO much each day here! Seriously, I am SO naive I wasthinking: "AW! What an amazing 16 year-old to do so much tohelp bunnies!" Yeah, silly me. See-I never wouldhave thought he was an irresponisble breeder! Thanks y'allfor this interesting info!

How do you think this happened? Did he simply breed too manybuns? He can't find homes because they are all mixedbreeds? What do you think? Do you think they areNOT well cared for? :(

Hugs!

Kricket wrote:
How do you think this happened? Did he simplybreed too many buns? He can't find homes because they are allmixed breeds? What do you think? Do you think theyare NOT well cared for? :(

Hugs!

*Though I do not know his side of the story* - He may be legit *and* bea breeder as well, I haven't emailed him to find out what the storyis.

But, based on the informationavailable (and what I could findvia a web search on the Rabbitry Name) Personally, I think he may havegotten a little carried away with a round of breeding. It'svery easy to do - especially with the Medium/Larger breeds, they havelarger litters. Perfect example: a friend of mine bred 17does one day - 31 days later 16 of them delivered litters ranging from4-7 babies and ended up with a total of 76 babies in addition to the30-40 something rabbits she already had.

If the email is in reference to his over breeding and needing todownsize fairly quickly(and nothing to do with actuallyrescuing), then it's more likely the reason he can't find homes forthem is because they are Rarer breeds. The breeds he haslisted range in size from 8-12lbs. Most people looking forpet bunnies are looking for the smaller, dwarfed breeds - no more than4lbs. And most breeders typically will breed their own stockand will only on occasion bring in "new blood".

American Sable's
WeightRange 7-10lbs.
Ideal Buck weight8lbs.
Ideal Doe weight 9lbs.

Hotot's
WeightRange 8-11lbs.
Ideal Buck weight9lbs.
Ideal Doe weight 10lbs.

American's

WeightRange 9-12lbs.
Ideal Buck weight10lbs.
Ideal Doe weight 11lbs.

Like mentioned before, the quickest way to ensure that rabbits arequickly "rescued" and sheltered to find homes is to threatenbutcher. But quite honestly, if he was serious aboutbutchering them, it would have been done long ago without the publicityand "help me" email.

On the other hand, his parents may have finally put their foot down toforce a downsize for everyone's own good - and being still a kid,didn't want to believe his parents and lollied around too long and nowhe's in a panic - out of options and time to appropriately sell / findhomes forthe rabbits.

This is the point where his parents *should* be teaching him aboutresponsibility. Breed for a purpose and not for bunnies,Don't breed when you don't have enough cage space fortheunexpected large litter (Murphy's Law), and beyond all else - when youdo breed for a purpose... make sure you have outlets for the one's youdon't intend to keep for yourself beforehand!

~Sunshine

I agree for the most part withSunshine , but what grates every lastnerve in my body is the fact he felt theneed to LIE! , calling himself a rescue, for purposes other than what they wereis something I cannot tolerate . Itput legit Rescues downinthe gutter , Anyone readingthat would have come away with theimpression he was a rescueAs a few poeple did , Then to go onto say that they will be slaughtered froma rescue now come onwheres the right to that . Imsorry He got in over his headno matter how you look at it and islooking to DUMP his rabbits where ever hecan .

I agree with Gypsy. He repeatedlystates he is a rescue which is a lie. I found his web sitewhich has not word of rescue on it.His websitealso shows he has no litters available and appears tohave done no showing since 2004. What gives with that? And inthe e-mail he says he is willing to not charge an adoption fee!!!!That's just too much. Shame on him. He is oldenough to know better.

Yes, he probably did get in over his head, or something, and thatdoesn't excuse trying to get shelters and rescue groups to take therabbits under false pretenses. There is no rabbit rescue inTuscarawas County where he lives and the shelters there are jam packedand euthanizing every day. There are HRS foster homes inneighboring Stark County but those are all jam packed. Everysingle shelter in that part of Ohio is on over flow alert.

Sunshine, you are right about his parents needing to teach himresponsibility. Sadly, it's the rabbits that will pay for theirresponsibility.

This is all so sad, and it's sad that people,like me, were deceived by it. Thank you to all whoinvestigated this. With some advice from Gypsy, I will becontacting my shelter here who will hopefully contact the correctauthorities and (hopefully) this kid can be shut down or at leastprevented from doing this again.It really makes mesick that this is going on in that whole area of Ohio. Whycan't there be good people like the ones on this board in that areacreating ligitimate rescues and truly helping rabbits find good homes:(. I will keep everyone updated if more develops onthis. I'm debating on whether to contact this kid and findout the real story. He shouldn't have lied and that reallybothers me.

~ Jamie

Hi,Peppergrl and all , just had to respond quickly to thispost.

I believe that there arecertain people who NEED to pay a fee for the privilege of adopting alovely "fur kid" !

There are some who mayfeel that the "free" animal they obtained is'nt worth investing mucheffort in , especially if that (bun, puppy, ect. ) turns out to be lessthan perfect. Hopefully this faux rescuer will give somethought to what will happen to buns being given away .:(

Niobe was 99.oo ; Gimliwas 45.oo ; and Epoch was 19.oo---but to me they're priceless !:D These little buns have given me alot of joy !

If someone can't pay for arabbit , how will they be able to pay for a hutch/habitat , toys, food,ect.??? ---Which they already should have purchased.

Sorry if I monologued toolong .:? Oh , BTW, my buns LOVE their toys ! Ihonestly think that buns get lethargic and perhaps even irritablewithout something to chew or throw .

Just yesterday, Gimligrabbed a bill that was placed too close to his house and shredded it !( no, I didn't put it there on purpose:p) He looked sooo innocent when I wentto fill his water !:D:D:D

Kadish Tolesa :pinkpansy:

I don't know ifthis is a good place for this or not, but maybe it will shed some lighton how a kid could get in over their head. I was telling Carolyn lastweek about the way I got my first rabbit...

My best friend Steve, and I, oftenaccompanied his father, tothe localSaturday morning odd and end auction.OneSaturday, when I was probably 12-13 yearsold,maybe a littleolder, we saw a very large,intimidatingman carrying in some rabbits. He was walkingacross the auction yard,arms by his side, two rabbits,onein each hand, hanging by the ears. They were kicking andstruggling, I remember Steve and I just stopped in our tracks andwatched, dumbfounded. The man opened acage and shoved therabbits inside and stepped a few feet away.

Steve and I sneaked over to peek inside. As we were watching therabbits we heard the man telling someone they would make good"fryers." We ask Steve's Dad what that meant and he explainedthat people often bought rabbits to eat. We were so mortified!

Long story short, we pooled together our money and bought those tworabbits. No plan, no cages, and no idea of what a rabbit needed. Twokids who just didn't want to see two bunnies get eaten.

Steve's Dad bought supplies and made us a cage, we bought pellets, wenamed Thumper and Smokey... and then we continued to return to thatauction every time that we had saved up enough of our lawn mowing moneyand allowance to save another rabbit.

We had to mow a lot of yards to keep building cages... we had everycolor and kind of rabbit you can imagine. Babies turned up now andagain too, bunnies that had been bred or ended up bred after we hadthem. By the time a year or so went by, we must have had 50 rabbits. Wehad no avenue to sell them. We lived in a very poor neighborhood and noone wanted them as pets. We **** sure weren't going to take them to theauction! So we just kept them all!

In the end a neighbors German Shepard's got out and tore through ourhutches and killed most or our rabbits in one night. That was the firsttime I heard a rabbit scream. Several of them escaped into the fieldsbehind our homes and we saw them for a season or two afterwards. Weonly had a couple left and we didn't buy anymore.

I guess the reason I'm relaying this story now is this; it's reallyeasy for a kid especially, to get in over their head. And it could befor all the right reasons. Now, I know their are plenty of them that doit for the wrong reasons too, but I just want to remind you to keep anopen mind in the future when you hear about people who end up with toomany bunnies.

But, there is no excuse for lying! :mad:

Raspberry

Sounds kinda like how I got started back in HighSchool, only it was a neighbor who raised for their table.That's how I ended up with my first rabbit, Sugar.

Sugar.bmp

When we got Sugar, of course like everything else, she needed company -so we went to the pet store and bought another rabbit that was supposedto be a boy (after all, it would be cute to have bunnies of ourown). Luckily, in a way, the other rabbit turned out to be agirl (I was wondering why they kept fighting and no babies were everborn)... but I was still bummed by the no babies, so I hunted downanother neighbor who had a boy bunny & we bred them - 7 babiesborn. I couldn't tell a hoot from a howl what which wereboy's and which were girls - so they all stayed together and in lessthan 6 months - had a grand total of 48 rabbits! My parent'swere royally upset to say the least! The majority were*given* to pet stores to sell, others I was able to find homes formyself - and the last remaining few succumbed to the most heartwrenching and the most horrific thing I've ever seen - but let's justsay that I cautionbunny owners who happen to take inadog... they know no boundaries and walls won't stop themwhen they're determined.

I guess we all have those hard lessons learned - but luckily for(hopefully) most of us, we actually Learn from these mistakes toprevent a recurrence. ;)

~Sunshine

Thanks for the stories Raspberry andSunshine. I never thought to consider that even though thelying is still unacceptable. I told Gypsy in a PM that theonly good thing about this is he IS making an effort to find homes,even though it's not a good effort, it's still there. I justhope he really isn't planning on butchering the poor things and issaying that more to illicite extra attention.

~ Jamie

Hi Pepper, According to one of his web sites:

http://endangeredrabbits.tripod.com/id1.html

he's been breeding since 1996. He would have been 7 years old!!!

In 2002, they changed breeds.. I'd bet you $10 that in 2002 the same
email went out so that they could get rid of their old stock to accommondate
the new.

They state that they have won numerous awards at ARBA shows but, they
are not a member...at least not under the Lair of Endangered Breeds name.

I think that these people are just "mill breeders" trying to renew their stock.

I emailed them, saying: "shame on you". They have not replied.

Latest posts

Back