rabbits nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhiszxpinay

Reaction score
hi, my bunny emmy has long nails now..andeverytime i hold it, one of its nails seems to poke me! Do you know atleast how many days to cut ur bunny's nails?Is there some type ofspecial nail clippers?

Hi,

If you look back through some old post, there are some great topics and instructions on nail clipping!

Hope that helps.

Babymommy

Through the courtesy of BunnyMommy, here's a siteshe found that is wonderful. Babymommy's right too.Look through some previous pages. Buck Jones gives excellentadvice on this topic as well.

This is an excellent tutorial on handling, grooming, nail trimming, and medicating bunny:

[url]http://www.livejournal.com/community/bunnyowners/831493.html[/url]

Hope this helps! :)

P.S. Notice under nail trimming the holding positionfor bunny that will put him in a "trance". Instead of placinghim upside down he can sit right side up (very useful for those bunnieswho despise being placed on their back).

Wrap him in a towel (as Buck Jones says: like aburrito), hold her firmly and talk to him. Practice makesperfect. If you're nervous, she'll sense it. Beconfident in yourself, and let her know that you are the BunnyBoss...the highest ranking of the two of you.

It's really important to tend to their nails. They can be painful and troublesome if not properly taken care of.

-Carolyn

Carolyn,

Thanks, I was actually thinking of the one from Buck. It wasvery informational. But I do have a question that you or Buckcould answer...............How do you get them in the towel.Do you just take a towel and put it over them and then pickup? I just know that Baby doesn't like to be picked up atall, so I want to make sure I attempt it right. I want topractice the art of picking her up and wrapping her in the towel a fewstimes first. Then once I get us comfortable with that, moveon to nail clipping.

Babymommy:D

babymommy,

I pick up the bun, then sit down, put a towel on my lap and then holdthe rabbit down with one hand while I quickly put one side of the towelover the rabbit, and the switch hands and get the next side.I've put the rabbit down on all fours on my lap on the towel or I puthim on his back on the towel and wrap him or her that way. Itdepends on how your rabbit reacts. You have to have a firm,strong hold on the rabbit to demonstrate to it, as Buck would say, that"you are the Alpha Rabbit." It takes some practice and youmay want to solicit someone's help the first few times you attempt it.

-Carolyn

hmmmm, right now she just won't even let us pickher up. We can pet all day long, just no pickingup. I think she believes we're gonna put her in thecage.

The pink part contains the blood supply for thenail. If you cut into the quick, you will have a bleeding,very scared, very mad rabbit. Just cut a little bit at atime...starting at the sharp tip end. On a young bunny, youcan get by just using a regular nail or toe nail clipper.Otherwise, there are clippers made for cats that should workwell. I have a Dutch buck, who is a bit long in the tooth, inmore ways than one. His teeth grow clear out andcrooked. Every once-in-awhile, I have to trim themoff. I used a small wire cutter at first. Then,after working in a swine unit, I acquired a baby pig clipper.That works swell for Levi's teeth.

- Dolores

I agree with Delores in the advice she gives about nail clipping.

It's a good idea to have a styptic powder around in case you do cut the quick (blood vessel). Cornstarch works too.

If you shine a flashlight into the nail, you'll see where a portion of it is darker, that's the quick.

I cut the tips of the nail off, let the quick retreat for a day, and then trim a little more off the top.

A lot of people also like doing it outside for better light.

-Carolyn

I've also been told that plain, flour, can beused to stop the bleeding. That's something that most peoplehave right in their kitchen. Just have the flour in a cup orsimiliar container, and if need be, dip Bunny's paw in the flour.

-Dolores

I hold my bunny in my arms like a baby, on theirback and rub their chin until they're half asleep then they don't carewhat i do. It my just be the breed. They're so easy going. I have minirexs' and to stop bleeding you burn a match, blow it out then rub thetip of the match again the the nail until it stops. Usually once ortwice. Hold your bunny like a baby and after a while he'll get used toit. Wish you luck.

Roxanne(crazy bunny lady)

Babymommy,

Re: bunny burrito wrapping. Either my wife or I, hold the bunwhile the other wraps. I have done it alone by placing the"tortilla" unfurled on the kitchen counter, then placing the bun at oneend. I next reach under the towel and bun's tummy, wrap overthe bun with the other hand in a passing off motion to the hand alreadyunder the towe/bun, then repeat the process,...if that descriptionmakes any sense to you?

Buck

Buck,

Thanks. It sort of makes since. It's hard to tellwhen you've never done it. I did manage to get her frontnails clipped last night while just lying on the floor withher. I think for her first time with the back ones, I'll letthe vet show me first hand. Then perhaps I'll feel moreconfident in the process.

I was reminded again this weekend that Baby does not like to be picked up! I have the scratches to prove it.

Babymommy

Back