Rabbit's lower right mandible teeth decayed/gums inflamed/torn

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeNtheBuns

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I know I'm new here but I'm desperately in need of advice. I had been taking my rabbit to a vet whom I trusted for many years. He always did his molar spur trims no problem. This time he did THREE trims and Lukie, my bunny, still wasn't eating. Two weeks of suffering and counting for Luke.

I went to another vet who had examined his teeth in late this January if this year and found them to be healthy. This time, not 4 months later, she found the right lower arcade (row of molars) looks decayed and the gums are all torn up, inflamed and necrotic. I'm so upset, no wonder he couldn't eat! And the other vet never said a word. I don't know what happened and all I want is my bunny to be better. She thinks he has a tooth root infection is which is causing all this. We are treating with Pen G shots once weekly, first one due tomorrow, and I will continue to syringe feed Critical Care. Also he will get Meloxicam .6 ml twice daily.

My concerns are that waiting until tomorrow to give Pen G gives the infection longer to take hold. He was taking SMZ, is that ever given with Pen G?
Also, is there any hope that he will recover from this without getting his teeth pulled or getting an abscess?

Thank you for any advice.

Latest posts

Back