Rabbits housed indoors -Do you ever let them outside??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikki_Shortstuff

Reaction score
I just realized, I've had Charlie for about 3/4 weeks now, and I've never let him outside. The most sun he has gotten is through the window (which I open a lot so he does get sun exposure), but should I be bringing him outside? Is it unhealthy for him? I don't know how I can bring him outside without a hutch or anything... :?

[align=center]I think many people do take their rabbits outside sometimes, of course with supervision.

I know I take my rabbits outside sometimes to let them get some fresh air, eat some grass, and romp around in a new area.

I don't have a fenced in area though, which I recommend. XD

I use harnesses and they're sort of restricting so I feel bad that they can't get the full extent of the outdoors.

I'd be careful of many outdoor animals (I dunno if you live near people or not, but in the blink of an eye, an animal could come out of nowhere... not saying you're not careful! Just, accidents happen =[) and I wouldn't keep them out too long because they can be exposed to illnesses.

I personally only do so in the winter and on harness. We have a severe myxo issue, as well as rampant foxes who are bold enough to take mature ganders in broad daylight while we're out there, wedge tail eagles etc. Likewise I know of too many buns who have gotten into things they shouldn't have or dug out from under fencing in suburbs to feel comfortable with most pens. It's not worth risking death for outside time. My buns do get fresh air and sunshine through opened windows(screened obviously) and I bring in trays and pots(the trays are cat litter trays from the dollar store) that I grow grass in. This way they can nibble and dig to their hearts content. I just put the whole cat litter tray into a bigger box so it stays relatively tidy when they fling dirt here and there.

You have to take my opinion with a grain of salt! lol :biggrin2:

I am in training to get my wildlife rehabbers license in Ontario...I will never take my bunns outside. Ever.

In Ontario, racoon round worm is endemic...all our racoons have it.
It is carried and transmittedby dogs who have been exposed.

It is because of all the diseases I know that wildlife carry and transmit...
Never happen...

Nope.:(

Indoor bunnies really don't need time outside to be healthy.

I have allowed mine out on my porch, but one hates it and the other only tolerates it. Maybe in a shady grassy area they would feel more comfortable, but for now being outside just makes them nervous so I don't bother anymore.

I don't recommend taking any rabbit outside without a penned area - harnesses can be dangerous if the rabbit gets scared and panics.

In Scone's seven and a half years he was only outside three times - and he really didn't like it any of them. I always had him in an X-pen, with water to drink and so on, but he just didn't like it. That's probably just as well, as I was always concerned that he'd push open the screen door and go out - but he was too scared of the outdoors to ever try it. I experimented once and left the door open while I was sitting on the step, and Scone just came up to the door frame, poked his nose out very slowly, and then ran back inside.

As far as I know Natasha's never been outside, and I don't plan to start her on it. Aside from the parasite concern (we have raccoons and lots of cottontails here), I'd be most worried about raptors. I've seen and heard hawks taking cottontails around my house. I'm sure if I was sitting with the bunny she'd be OK, but still it's a risk.

I dont bring my buns outside, there kept in my bedroom..

They have a huge window so plenty of light, and I let the window open most days for fresh air..
I also have two trays of wheetgrass! I feed as a treat..

I read somewhere, rabbits need light for vitD.. so its important to be, near a window..

I live in the countryside in ireland, where theres so much wild animals round, foxes etc..
I also have dogs so i cant gurantee the grass is clean from their buisness!

My rabbits arent vaccianated against myxo and vhd.. so they can pick them up from wild rabbits, i may be vaccianting them though..

all of my buns get to go out atleast a couple times a month..i think its good for them ...i have an enclosed run for them that used to be a bird aviary ..but we turned it on its side and turned the doors so i can open them....i dont have myxo or raccoon issues here ..and where the bunnies run is no other animals can get in .(unless they wanna go thru my pitbulls).its totally enclosed and safe for them and i dont leave them out there alone ..i do yard work when they are out...i feel like all animals need fresh air and sunshine to flourish...but only if its safe.

Nikki_Shortstuff wrote:
What I'm worried about is if Charlie gets a vitamin D deficiency from lack of sunlight. Will he be okay if I never bring him outside?

You are right. Your bunny needs sunlight or artifical lights. I bought a light from my vet. It is very important for their teeth. This summer I plan on letting mine outside,,,in a hutch thats up off the floor so they can get sunlight.

Making sure your bunny is safe (if you take it outside) is important. OR you can buy a light and leave it on half a day for him/her. :wink

Our bunns have never been outside...nor do we have a UVB/UVA light for them.

There are issues right now with the compact UVB/UVA bulbs possibly causing cataracts...and most lights (even the good ones) recommend that they be within 12" of the animal for proper exposure.

Most good quality rabbit pellets are fortified...so have added minerals and vitamins necessary for good health. If your bunn has a proper diet...fresh leafy greens, a good quality pellet and lots of hay...there should be no need for extra D exposure.:)

I let my bunny out just one time and now I have to do it a few times a week because he sits on the window sills behind the blinds and scratches at the window looking sad and cute. I think he just enjoys running around on something other than slippery tiles and floorboards.
If it’s safe then maybe you should let him try it out. My areas pretty safe so I let him out supervised a couple times a week when there’s some shade in the front yard. Even without a fence or harness he never runs past the footpath and hes even learning to come back inside when I get up to open the door.

I think your bunny getting sunlight is great! and it sounds like he likes it. Also, sounds like your watching him really good so I don't see a problem with it. Just watch for fleas and mites. :)

i personify my pets a bit, so the way I see it is...would you want to be indoors all the time? nahhh. we let chester out everyday (whats a harness???) when we let our dog out to do his business. he runs around, chases the dog, dog chases him. dog licks him. and that goes on for about 30 minutes and finally when he's tired he'll just plop on the floor and stretch out, i bring him in and he just lays down for a few hours after that lol. I dont live in an area surrounded by wilderness so i personally dont have to worry about any dangers of predators. The only place i dont let him outside is the patio next to the house (which is fenced in) because terminix comes and sprays and hes a bit of a licker.

Back