Rabbits getting bathed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rescuemom

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a rabbit... She baths him on a regular basis. I believe there's at least once a month I hear about her bathing him, but she's hinted at doing it more often because if she doesn't, then 'he stinks and gets dirty', and she claims he loves baths..

What do you think?

And what can this do, or not do.. for his health?

I'm a little concerned, but don't know enough about bathing rabbits to really say much..

I personally don't recommend it. Rabbits are like cats in that they usually do a pretty good job of keeping themselves groomed. Bathing takes all the natural oils out of the fur and can dry out the skin. Without more detail on why he's getting dirty and stinky it's hard to make suggestions, but if he's not neutered then that would certainly help.

He's neutered. Not litter trained. She gives him crittercare bedding in his cage, and little hay cube things instead of regular unlimited hay as she and her son are allergic to the hay and dust from the hay. She also feeds him the gourmet stuff you can get at Walmart with the sunflower seeds, etc in it because he apparently won't eat timothy hay pellets. Not sure if any of that plays a role.

Has she tried to litter train him? Rabbits are a creature of habit when it comes to pooping/peeing, in that they will usually go in a corner of the cage. If there is bedding all over the cage (unless I misunderstood) then it doesn't encourage him to go in one spot and then he just walks around and lies in it. She could try just putting a litter box in one or two corners...maybe put a grate on top of it so he doesn't sit in it.

I have had rabbits that smelled bad and I think it was due to the food. Getting them on a good diet really helped.
Not using the litter box can mean the cage smells bad, and so he might pick up a bit of an odour as well. Cleaning the cage more often and even trying to litter train may help.
Scent glands can make a rabbit smell bad as well, so they should be checked and cleaned if needed.

Bathing really isn't needed for rabbits. You may get some that have poopy butt or other issues who need regular butt baths. They can be other medical reasons to bathe a rabbit as well, but that should really be done under the supervision for a rabbit savvy vet. Your average, healthy rabbit should not need a bath.

A better diet and cleaner cage should help the issue a lot. Bathing really is not a substitute for proper care.

Latest posts

Back