Rabbits getting along with cats/kittens

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen1717

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 4yr old male dwarf bunny, and I am thinking about getting a kitten/cat. Does anybody have experience with cats and rabbits....do they often get along? Does it make a difference if the cat is male or female?
I know that leaving them alone together is not a good idea at all, but I'd like to at least have them get along when there is somebody supervising them.

Any advice/comments are appreciated, thanks!

I think it just depends on the rabbit and cat in question. I have a cat... Jasmine, who was about 7 when I got my bunnies. She's a bit timid, mixed with a bit brat... so the bunnies could go up, and she'd pretty much back off. But then she'd turn around and swat their hineys for fun lol. My bunny Lego has always really liked Jasmine... and she's not pushy, so they actually get along quite well. They don't cuddle but they do relax together with about a foot between them. Lego also keeps the faith that one day, kitty will kiss her lol... she keeps lowering her head every time kitty walks by.

Anyways, it can definitely work, but you might want to adopt a cat so you have some idea of it's personality and how it gets along with other animals. Then try them together in a room before you adopt... if all goes well, then it's basically just up to time to see just how close they get.

I've known my cat for 13 years now, and my Lego for almost 7, so I'm completely comfortable with leaving them alone together while I'm away for work/etc.

Best of luck!!!
Sandra

I have a kitten and they get on great personalty wise but not play.
Its not that storm does not want to play its just he does not want to play 24 7. Boss chases him around the house all the time.

So I do seperate run times.

I think when boss gets older the chasing will stop. I hope

well out of my 4 rabbits my cat tolerates two. shes older, about 8, so out of her play stage for the most part. many times her and my french lop will sleep next to eachother and groom eachother thier the closest.

we also have a kitten and she attacks the rabbits in play and so we have to watch her to keep her from harming the rabbits, but one will protect himself. he really hates her

I have 2 cats... one likes to try to bathe my bunny with kisses, and the other attempts to smack their ears in annoyance. My male cat (the bather) only likes one bunny out of 3.

I guess my best advice would be heavy supervision for the first while, until you know what are the triggers for each animal in their activities with eachother... eg. maybe bunny thumping drives cat nuts.

I would also suggest that you get some softPaws vinyl claw covers for any new cat, especially a kitten. Kittens have those razor sharp claws, and seem to swipe madly at anything interesting... could wind up with some major injuries that way. The claw covers would stop those accidents until cat grows/trained out of the behaviour.

Regular nail cutting is also helpful.

(The SoftPaws come in handy at my house for sure! There's even a whole range of colours :)http://www.softpaws.com/colors.html )

When I got my kitten I thought if would be great for her to socialize with the rabbits. She wanted to lick the adult rabbits but the rabbits attacked her.

Now she will groom baby rabbits but she stays away from adults. She'll either run away or push the rabbit away with her paw.

we just got a 6 week old kitten and gizmo is a little over one. gizmo will head butt abby. they are both out all day since i am home and abby just leaves gizmo alone and he leaves here alone. so for now its working. so i hope when abby is a full grown cat that it will stay that way.

My Penny is in love with my Cat, Marley. She makes him a little nervous:

Don't worry, he has no claws, so he didn't hurt her. (for the record, I didn't declaw him, he was that way when I rescued him)

It's been a while since I posted a video. Hope the link works.

Snuggy's mom... I remember you from another bunny forum... nice to see you here!! Your vid is adorable... that's pretty much how it is with my two girls, Lego & Jasmine. Lego lowers her head and hopes for the best. But kitty has no intention of "ever" grooming her lol!!

Latest posts

Back