Rabbits first time pegnancy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmani5

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am new in Raising rabbits, i am trying to raise rabbits for sale (in india).
I have brought one male New Zealand white and Female chinchilla for cross breeding.
Both are around 7 months old.

Below are the current position:
*They buck seems to mate fine with the doe several times every day.
*Most of the time the doe tries to avoid him making noises and running away.
*They both stay in same cage ( its a 5*3 feet large cage with a nest and litter box inside)
*Recent days when i let them both out of the cage the doe bites him and plugs off his hair... the buck does the same back to her... Both of them fights for a while. Both are fighting like roasters.
*But when they are inside both licks each other.

Question:
I heard from many people that rabbits rears like anything!
But i haven't got a single clue for my doe to give birth. is it too early for her to become pregnant?
Also they never much interested in Hays.. they always prefer Cauliflower leaves and Wheat Chacks and wheat sticks is there any problem with that?

I have attached their picture too(They have grown little bigger than they are in the Pic) expecting your answers to improve my knowledge.
Thanks!

DSC01042.JPG

How old are they? Does aren't to be bred until they're at least six months for small breeds and anywhere between eight to a year for the larger.

And why on earth breed if it isn't to a standard of a breed? I don't mean to sound rude or anything but there isn't a point unless you are breeding for breed traits and to standard and also knowing the pedigree back four generations is important information as you don't know what kind of problems you could potentially be breeding into kits.

Separate doe and buck immediately as it is unsafe for the both of them to be housed together for numerous reasons. Four hours to one day under supervision is the way to go when breeding the doe and two months rest after weaning off a litter at the minimum for her to recover after birth before being bred again.

And there are numerous reasons why she is rejecting him. Age, condition, and more van have to do with it.

Hi HiddlesKenway,

Thanks for your reply.
As i mentioned before i am pretty new to raising rabbits and in india rabbits are not so famous as in UK or US.
Until i purchase these i had no idea on earth that rabbits do have different breeds. Funny to say i thought they are all same rabbits in different coating!!!!!

And more funny i still brought 2 more yet another two different breeds without knowing this.

As i raised for several months i am little hesitant to sell any of them! so thought of making cross breeds at least.

i have seen colony rabbits they are doing good.
http://farmingmybackyard.com/colonyraisingrabbits101/

cant i do same with mine?
And do chinchilla breeds require more time to mate like 8 or 9 months?

I don't know much about the breed as I raise Dwarf Lops and Cashmere Lops and they are at a good age by six months. I would be doing research before starting this, don't go into this unknowing of a rabbit there is a lot more to breeding and raising then just kits at the end things could go wrong.

I've had one colony before and I was young but you'll need to be able to tell rabbits apart and make sure they aren't constantly getting pregnant and that no fights are going on. You'll also need a LARGE enclosure with under cover areas for nesting and getting out of weather. There is a lot I suggested nonstop research and find enclosure ideas.

Chinchillas are a large breed rabbit so, should not be bred until 8 months old at the youngest. Same for any breed of that size. You can do a colony but, you will have more rabbits than you know what to do with unless you plan on eating or selling them.

If they are pets, it's better to keep the males and females separated or, find a vet that can spay and neuter them.

Latest posts

Back