rabbits ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candice136

Reaction score
A couple of years ago when we brought tommy from the pet shop we noticed he had one ear up and one ear down instead of them both being down my mom thought it would eventually go down on its own but never has he is now 2 years old is there a reason why one ears down and ones up please help thanks x

Could he be lop or part lop? Their ears don't always fall. Someone with more knowledge may be able to explain. Is his ears like that all of the time? I know Thumper rarely has both ears up. When he does it is because he has heard something that has gotten his attention. When he is relaxed which is most of the time one or both ears are down. When I first brought him home from the breeder and started noticing this I was worried he might be a mix as I did just specify I wanted a pet. I also didn't realize they could just let them fall to the side.

He is crossed between a lop eared rabbit and another rabbit but the pet shop was unsure on what other rabbit he is crossed with.Hope that helps a bit more:running bunny

My Cricket has one ear up and one down. I just presumed she was part lop. I think it adds to her beauty.

The crown, which is the ridge of cartilage between the ears, is what determines ear carriage on lop breeds or lop mixes. Your rabbit's head and crown are very narrow looking, which causes more ear control (ears will not lop the whole way). The crown is also very slipped (sits back far on the head), which can also add to the control.

For a pet bunny, none of that matters! And partially lopped ears are just cute. :) In show rabbits, you'd want to see a wider head and more forward crown.

Latest posts

Back