rabbits back teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me what protocol a vet should take to thoroughly examine a rabbits back molars. Do they have to give them anaesthetic to get a good look? Could they take an X-ray instead and is anaesthesia used for that?

Also, my rabbit's front teeth look very straight, but a little bit shorter than my other rabbit, would it be unusual do you think for a rabbit to have perfectly straight front teeth but have something wrong with the back teeth?

His symptoms are: only wants pellets or soft lettuce things easy to chew, won't eat hay, won't eat grass unless I puree it. He went into stasis twice but I nursed him out of it. Before I started pureeing grass and hay for him his poo looked very small, now that I puree grass/hay poos are perfect.

It really depends on the issues that your rabbit may be having. Typically an initial check of the teeth will be done consciously with an otoscope. If there are definite signs that it is a dental issue such as drooling or odd chewing behavior, or if nothing was found in the conscious exam but the rabbit is continuing to not eat, selectively eat, or other symptoms that may be dental related, then the vet may want to do a more thorough check under GA.

With xrays, they aren't going to show the vet problems with molar spurs, but are more to try and detect infection, irregular tooth growth, or elongated tooth root issues. Sedation of the rabbit is usually needed so the vet can get good clear xrays of the head. If a vet does a dental exam under GA and doesn't find any spurs or visible signs of dental problems, then it's usually a good idea for them to then do some xrays, as the issues causing selective eating may be below the surface, such as tooth infection/abscess or elongated roots causing pain when your rabbit chews.

Rabbits can have molar problems even though the incisors are perfectly normal. The reason for this is that incisor wear depends primarily on whether or not they are aligned correctly. If not, the rabbit will continue to have overgrown incisor issues. But with molars, their wear not only depends on proper alignment, but also getting enough tooth wear from the food the rabbit chews. So even though the incisors are perfectly normal, the molars can still develop spurs if they aren't getting worn down from roughage in the diet.

Has a vet checked his molars? The selective eating can certainly be a sign of dental problems. Especially if he used to eat hay fine, and if you have tried changing to different types of hay to see if that was the problem. One good test is trying a bit of alfalfa hay, stems and all(if no bladder sludge or kidney issues). Not too much though as it may cause digestive upset if a bun isn't used to it. Most buns really like it and will eat it when offered. I had a bun go off his hay, and pellets too for the first part of the day. I tried a couple different kinds of grass hay but still nothing. So after 3 days of pellets/veg only and no hay, I was starting to think dental issues. Then I tried a little bit of alfalfa hay. He ate it right up and after a few days was eating his grass hay again. All I could figure was that he got something in his hay that upset his stomach and so that put him off of wanting to eat hay for a few days. If you try the alfalfa, if your bun will only eat the soft leafy parts and not the stems, that could still mean dental issues, but if he will eat the stems, it may mean something else is behind not wanting to eat hay. Figuring out what is the tricky part.

If your bun is found to have spurs, one thing that may help with the wear of molars, is orchard grass, if available to you. It has a high silica content that is good for wearing down the teeth. I know of one lady whose rabbit was having regular dentals, I think it was every 6 weeks. She started feeding her bun orchard grass and last I read her bun was up to 6-8 months without needing a dental.

This link has some detailed info and photos of dental issues in rabbits that may be helpful to you. It has some good xray pics of some dental problems.
http://www.manorvets.co.uk/ckfinder/userfiles/files/dental%20dz%281%29.pdf

Last edited:
Thank you jbun of the really thorough reply.

I had a bun go off his hay, and pellets too for the first part of the day. I tried a couple different kinds of grass hay but still nothing. So after 3 days of pellets/veg only and no hay, I was starting to think dental issues. Then I tried a little bit of alfalfa hay. He ate it right up and after a few days was eating his grass hay again. All I could figure was that he got something in his hay that upset his stomach and so that put him off of wanting to eat hay for a few days. If you try the alfalfa, if your bun will only eat the soft leafy parts and not the stems, that could still mean dental issues, but if he will eat the stems, it may mean something else is behind not wanting to eat hay. Figuring out what is the tricky part.

I am wondering if my bun is like your bun and just faking a toothache to get me to make him pureed hay, grass, and apple smoothies. I've walked in and seen him eating hay which makes me think maybe there isn't anything wrong with his teeth. But When my other rabbits eat I see 3 or four pieces of hay in their mouths at a time and they eat it fast, However, when he eats it he just picks through it forever and eats one piece at a time. So is he just being picky or looking for the softest piece so he won't hurt his teeth...? I don't know. I saw him eat quite a few willow leaves and they aren't all that soft. He won't eat fresh grass at all which I think is really weird, whatever grass I pick, even soft tender grass he refuses to eat. So, I'n not positive its his teeth.

But I've contacted veterinarian that I think who can do a dental on a rabbit. Do you think his answers sound like he knows what he is doing? Do you think his Anaesthetic protocol sounds correct for rabbits?

So, my questions are:
1. Can you get a thorough look at his back teeth?

Vet: The majority of rabbits will allow a view of their premolars and molars whilst still conscious. Size does make things slightly easier (ie. In general you get a more extensive view in a Flemish giant than you do in the dwarf breeds) but I would hope to be able to get an impression of any molar occlusion issues whilst in the consult room

2. Will you need to give him an anaesthetic for that? If so Which anaesthetic do you use for rabbits?

Vet: If the clinical exam is consistent with your history then I expect we will ideally need to anaesthetise him to do a thorough oral exam. If appropriate, we will use a mild sedative eg.midazolam +/- ketamine and analgesic, IV catheter placed and then mask down with isoflurane so that they can be intubated and maintained on at least oxygen +/- anaesthetic gas

(If you do look at the back teeth can you take a photo for me to see?

Vet: Unfortunately due to very limited access and associated illumination, I do not have the equipment to take photos)

3. Should he get an Xray?
Vet: As with all dental cases, xrays are very useful. However in rabbits, Computerised tomography(CT) is much better

Latest posts

Back