Rabbits avoiding their litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoolia

Reaction score
My trio of adult, spayed/neutered rabbits have been avoiding their litterbox no matter where we put it. They were all great about their box until my aunt's cat moved in and our cats started using their box. We've since moved and changed litter boxes entirely, but lately they dont even seem to have a designated toilet area, they go EVERYWHERE. Anyone have any ideas for how to fix this?

Sounds to me like you might have to start over and confine them to a smaller space and redo litter box training.

What changes did you make to their litter box exactly? Any change can affect their litter habits.

When we moved out of our old place and into our new one, I thought the bunnies would get the hang of their box again since there weren't areas so saturated with urine that they automatically think to use them. That didn't work out very well. Then we built them a cage and they at least kept their messes to one area of the cage. Once they got their own room again, litter box training went right back out the window with all my hopes and dreams. Once our flemish giant joined the group, instead of them picking up his flawless litter habits, he picked up theirs. Recently we replaced the litter boxes completely with a HUGE one to accommodate Gobi's enormous size and the other two bunnies together. Nope, they barely touch it. We switched that litter box with Mrs. Brown's box in hopes that they'd try to mark it as their territory and start using that instead. Even worse.
I can't cage the trio again, Gobi is simply too big to fit in a cage let alone with two roommates.

Have you tried putting their hay into the litter box? It sounds gross; but, buns will take care of their "business" while eating and get accustomed to the box, again.

My buns got a little careless when I introduced young tree shoots into their diet. I immediately started hanging the branches on the side of the cage over their box. Problem solved, immediately.

Putting food between the box and the wall seemed to help Gobi with his initial training, and helped Mrs. Brown recently. But the trio goes EVERYWHERE. No specific spot, just chaos all over the room from one side to the other. I just don't know what to do. They don't have a specific spot they prefer to pee or poop in, so i dont know how to redirect them. Their room is a nightmare every morning

Latest posts

Back