Rabbits ate a TON of dried papaya...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becknutt

Reaction score
Hello RO, long time no see!

I woke up this morning and Floppy & Ruby had somehow reached the papaya bag and pulled it through their NIC pen. They ate the entire bag. It was a gallon size ziplock bag about 1/3 full of dried papaya pieces. I took away all their food this morning and gave them only hay...

What should I do? Has anyone ever had this happen before? :?

Yup, what angieluv said above.

You've already taken the correct steps by taking all food away except hay.

Probiotics could definitely help to stabalize the gut.

Just monitor for mushy poops and make sure they are eating and drinking okay.

Silly bunnies just wanted some food, you should really stop starving them so much ;):p

--Dawn

I really hope they don't suffer any ill effects of this. To be honest though, it made me laugh because my Swarming (Sunny, Dawn and Hope) do things like this ALL the time. Mine are always ok though, hopefully yours will be too. Let us know how they go.

Yes i had to move a baby gate to stop peppa and georgie raiding the cat biscuit bowls x silly bunnies. they were fine too and the worst part was that i realised it had gone on for a few days and the cats werent "eating more biscuits at the moment" as i thought until i caught them xxx No longer can they break in ha ha xxx

Flashy wrote:
I really hope they don't suffer any ill effects of this. To be honest though, it made me laugh because my Swarming (Sunny, Dawn and Hope) do things like this ALL the time. Mine are always ok though, hopefully yours will be too. Let us know how they go.
Me too.All I usually do is restrict treats for a few days and watch.

So far they seem to be ok. Ruby is my piggy, and she was quite upset about not having her pellets. So I gave them back just now. I'm hoping she was the ringleader because Floppy has a sensitive tummy and we really limit his treatintake. He seems normal right now and I'm stocked up on gas meds just in case. I don't see any mushy poo so far either, but they are getting NO TREATS for a couple of days at least.

I wish I would have been awake enough to snap a picture this morning because it was quite funny to see their heads pop out of the bag remnants when I walked up. Just like children caught doing something wrong. I talked to my daughter and she said she might of left the bag on top of their cage last night...

Last week I was pet sitting 2 rabbits and I returned to the home in the evening because I could not remember if I had placed the craisins in a high enough place that they could not get them

I was lucky that it was out of reach but since they were not my rabbitsI did not know what acrobatic feats they were capable of :)

They are just fine. Thanks for checking in! They are annoyed with me because I haven't given them any treats since the incident but it didn't affect them at all. Absolutely no tummy issues! Weare so lucky!

Latest posts

Back