Rabbits and snow?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisyandoliver

Reaction score
So I'm just wondering since a lot of my friends I know who have bunnies let their rabbits run in the snow (in enclosures) outside for maybe 20 minutes a day. The bunnies seem to enjoy it, doing binkies and digging in the snow, but is it safe? I would be afraid it would be too cold for them.. During all seasons they let their bunnies run outside for a bit a day, including winter. I would take Oliver out since he LOVES going outside but I just didn't know if it was safe or not?

I want to know too...how cold would be too cold?

I wouldn't be so much afraid of the temps, I'd be afraid of them getting wet and not drying. People shouldn't bathe their rabbits because rabbits do not dry quickly. How would them getting wet in snow be much different then?

If they are used to outside then snow is not a problem as they'll have winter coats. If your bunny is indoors then fill a litter tray/storage box with snow and let them play that way :)

I've let my rabbits out in the snow to play. They had a blast and loved it. You may want to do it on a day where it's not too cold but cold enough that the snow isn't wet or slushy. So maybe like 30 degrees outside. And don't do it for too long as they will get cold after a little while. If the snow isn't too wet then they won't get all that wet, just maybe their feet a little bit. Then I'd make sure they are warm after til they were all dried off. Also, if your rabbits have health problems, then you may not want to do it.

Last edited:
It doesn't snow here, but I have seen people fill a litter tray or storage box with snow and bring it inside as an enrichment opportunity which may work for you. The important thing is making sure getting out of the snow is an option so you'll know if they're not enjoying themselves.

Mine are very used to outdoors so they have no problems. The only thing, it can sometimes be slippery when it melts and then freezes or in case of freezing rain. Slipping would be my concern. Soft snow with temperatures not much-much below freezing should be fine.

Awww, they're so cute!!! They look like they were having lots of fun out there. I love the one bunny digging in the tunnel and pushing the snow out of it :)

Love the video, love the bunnies, the playground, and the ethereal music :D What was the temperature outside during the video?

My buns a love the snow, but it never gets thick where I live it's usually just sleet but if it got thick I would make sure they were locked in their hutches and sheds and only let them out for half an hour or so, then towel dry them :) but the little snow we got my buns loved and were eating it and loving it :)

Oh that snow playground is so good and the buns look as though they´re having a great time. I love all the little tunnels and the lop who´s throwing the snow out is too cute. A snow bunny paradise !!

Back