Rabbits and other pets - Just some proof - Come share

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watermelons

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Un-Snowy Wet West, British Columbia, Canada
This looks like it's a common topic so Lets share some storys and photos of our bunnies with other pets and maybe toss a few tips to others out there who are worried about introducing another animal to their bunnies.

Plus sometimes bunnys so the cutest things with our other pets.

My old bun got along with all my other animals, and except for 1 dog that thinks he can herd the rabbits, they all love their bunnys.

LolaAndBunnyDec-11-2006-018.jpg

LolaAndBunnyDec-11-2006-001.jpg

LolaAndBunnyDec-11-2006-004.jpg

"whats this on your face? Here let me preen it off for you"

No pics of the new guys with their other pets but this is Tiki

my dogs are the only thing that makes me comfortable to turn my back when i let the buns outside in the x-pen (with lid) when those guys are in the yard, we dont even get birds, so those bunnys are safe.

Whats your story?

You have a pretty cockatoo!

I have a cockatiel and am scared to get a dog with him, since he's out all day and he's small and would look like a tempting treat. :(

My tiel and my bunny get along though - they eat get their little pile of veggies and eat together (from their own piles to avoid germ swapping). My tiel preens the bun, though the bunny doesn't like it much lol I think the bird pulls fur.

I don't have any pics yet, need to get a new camera.

Ohhhh, You asked....so here ya go, lol...the first couple are bun pics but I threw in a few more just to demonstrate some of the OTHER interspecies relationships we've had around here...DO NOT try this at home lol

First up is Elton and our mini Dachshund "Markie"
14458_151724_210000001.jpg

This was foster bun Stella who allowed "Ricky" the orphan squirrel to use her as a surrogate warm body.
14458_151724_190000000.png

Now for the NON bun pics....
Here is Tequila our cockatoo hangin out with some of the cats.

14458_151724_210000002.png

This is Mizzen, one of my foster kitties who was a Selkirk rex. He befriended "Grace O'malley" the rat who can be seen peeking our around the rear...they lived together a year before Mizzen was adopted.
14458_151726_050000001.jpg

Here is Ming who had an obsession with Sheldon the Dane.
14458_151726_050000000.png

...And Benji the Amazon who has a severe affinity for kittens. He's a crotchety guy but has a soft place in his heart for all of our foster kittens that come and go.
14458_151726_050000002.png

Now here's Janie who loves babies of all kinds and is obviously "Cat friendly"
14458_151724_210000003.jpg

And last, but not least, is Molly the prairie dog who loves loves loves the dog's and cat's. Here she is snuggling with our Elsie when she was a pup....she spends a lot of time asleep in the bed with a couple of cats.
14458_151724_210000004.jpg

food always seems to bring my animals together!

i was nervous because 2 of my cats are less than a year old and can be a bit rambunctious, but careful supervision and some stern NO's have gone a long way. here is mya and truvy sharing a bowl of pellets (i only let mya linger for a few seconds before i tell her to stop eating the food lol)

14756_012138_420000000.jpg

this is ozzie lounging by truvy's litter box while she eats. he loves to be near her!
14756_012141_030000000.jpg

the ultimate test! my grumpy old lady cat who was mean to the kittens when they were TINY! i didnt think she had a heart until i brought truvy home. she fell for truvy instantly and is constantly trying to groom the bun! :):):) it brought tears to my eyes! :)

14756_010905_120000000.jpg

DIpitydane wrote:
Ohhhh, You asked....so here ya go, lol...the first couple are bun pics but I threw in a few more just to demonstrate some of the OTHER interspecies relationships we've had around here...DO NOT try this at home lol

This was foster bun Stella who allowed "Ricky" the orphan squirrel to use her as a surrogate warm body.
14458_151724_190000000.png

Here is Ming who had an obsession with Sheldon the Dane.
14458_151726_050000000.png

And last, but not least, is Molly the prairie dog who loves loves loves the dog's and cat's. Here she is snuggling with our Elsie when she was a pup....she spends a lot of time asleep in the bed with a couple of cats.
14458_151724_210000004.jpg

Hi! Those are some great/incredible pics. :)Just curious, do you rescue/rehabilitate wild animals because how did you end up with a prairie dog and that duck in the house/living room?

All your animals certainly seem to get along well and you certainly seem to be an animal lover like me, with you fostering, resucing, etc. (I've rescued/rehabilitated several wild birds/animals and have quite a few pets too, that I love.) :)

Thanks again for sharing these pics.

Thanks,

Pet_lover48

Haha...if we have the financial capability, the time, and the room we will not turn a critter away....sadly we cannot help them all tho and sometimes you just have to say no :( But to answer your question...the duck was found as a baby, he is a domestic breed called Swedish...he is wearing a specially designed flight suit, AKA diaper, for ducks....the prairie dog was aquired as a pet...the owner wasn't prepared for what they entail...much like a rabbit...with slightly more concious effort...they were banned for a few years as pets but just recently the ban has been lifted and many are bought on a whim at petstores and nothing is mentioned of their care..crap, I've found that even the stores selling them have no idea what they require...they do eat mostly timmy hay and pellets like a bun....we just took in a 3 month old baby a couple weeks ago....we also rehabilitate and ready for release native wildlife...My bun Biljack who is long passed, "Raised" the duck you see....he also mothered somewhere around 20 squirrel babies in his lifetime....the duck, the amazon parrot, the kittens, Stella the rabbit, and Mizzen the cat have all been adopted into new homes. The squirrel baby is still here but nearing release :)

DIpitydane wrote:
Haha...if we have the financial capability, the time, and the room we will not turn a critter away....sadly we cannot help them all tho and sometimes you just have to say no :( But to answer your question...the duck was found as a baby, he is a domestic breed called Swedish...he is wearing a specially designed flight suit, AKA diaper, for ducks....the prairie dog was aquired as a pet...the owner wasn't prepared for what they entail...much like a rabbit...with slightly more concious effort...they were banned for a few years as pets but just recently the ban has been lifted and many are bought on a whim at petstores and nothing is mentioned of their care..crap, I've found that even the stores selling them have no idea what they require...they do eat mostly timmy hay and pellets like a bun....we just took in a 3 month old baby a couple weeks ago....we also rehabilitate and ready for release native wildlife...My bun Biljack who is long passed, "Raised" the duck you see....he also mothered somewhere around 20 squirrel babies in his lifetime....the duck, the amazon parrot, the kittens, Stella the rabbit, and Mizzen the cat have all been adopted into new homes. The squirrel baby is still here but nearing release :)

Hi! Wow, you've certainly had quite the assortment of animals. :)That's so great you've rescued so many too. Yes, I see the 'flight suit' now-just wasn't looking close enough. That'd be neat having a prairie dog as a pet. I've never really seen them available here in Canada, but maybe all the better because many people would probably just care for them all wrong.

I've rescued and hand fed baby robins, baby rats, rescued an injured young crow, who even mith much trying, was unreleaseable (couldn't fly), so he lived the rest of his life with us, in a specially desinged enclosure in the backyard. I alsohand fed and brought up a baby straling, who was successfully released into the wild. I totally understand how it can be a lot of work rescuing and rehabilitating wild animals, but I'm so glad for the people that care and take there time to do it. I'm sure the animals thank you too. :)

Thanks,

Pet_lover48

[/quote]

"Hi! Wow, you've certainly had quite the assortment of animals. :) That's so great you've rescued so many too. Yes, I see the 'flight suit' now - just wasn't looking close enough. That'd be neat having a prairie dog as a pet. I've never really seen them available here in Canada, but maybe all the better because many people would probably just care for them all wrong.

I've rescued and hand fed baby robins, baby rats, rescued an injured young crow, who even mith much trying, was unreleaseable (couldn't fly), so he lived the rest of his life with us, in a specially desinged enclosure in the backyard. I also hand fed and brought up a baby straling, who was successfully released into the wild. I totally understand how it can be a lot of work rescuing and rehabilitating wild animals, but I'm so glad for the people that care and take there time to do it. I'm sure the animals thank you too. :)

Thanks,

Pet_lover48"
[/quote]

Oh how lucky to have spent your life with a crow, truly intelligent and beautiful creatures....we also have many native bird species thru during fledgling season. We have a non releasable starling too...he's very smart and mimics everything my exotic birds have to say PLUS he replicates household noise incredibly. Here they are viewed as a nuisance species and don't get the recognition they should. Everyone who meets frankie and falls in love with him is immediately taken aback when they hear that he is a starling...he's a good ambassador :)

here's puppet and sol. the two can often be found together, and play chase and tag. it's hilarious to watch!

a really bad pic of puppet trying to convince kimo to groom him. for the most part, kimo couldn't care less about the rabbits, though.

this was before rue decided he hated sol. ahhhh, puberty! now, he thumbs and charges sol whenever the poor cat so much as looks at him.

the dog ignores the rabbits, the rabbits mostly ignore the dog. but every once in a while, their paths cross.

Hi! I know this is really supposed to be just for pics of rabbits with other animals, but I don't have any rabbits yet, (hopefully will be adopting a bonded pair soon), soI really wanted to post a couple of pics of my big Amercian mastiff, withmycats. :)

I was so happy to catch these great pics. :)They were all in the driveway basking in the sun. (FYI - The cats, aren't realated, just happen to be the same colour, they are approx. 16yrs old and 10yrs old. The dog is about 8.5yrs old now - used to have 2, but his brother sadly passed away in Jan from cancer.)

Hope you like the pics.

Thanks,

Pet_lover48

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

These are all really just TOO precious lol. OMG at the first picture. They are posing!!!

Benji2043.jpg

P1010016-1.jpg

P1010048.jpg

tiredpipnben.jpg

WholeFamily010-1.jpg

Benji2005.jpg

bennrolohuggles.jpg

bennrolosmalller.jpg

Jen

All of our bunnies just love our dog Dodger! Although Dodger isn't overly fond of the bunnies, he more just tolerates their presence XD

217033_1885855742596_1127468202_32168496_81699_n.jpg

20833_1445423412063_1127468202_31276163_8246543_n.jpg

Back