Rabbits and harness leashes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatrachel

Reaction score
I have an almost 2 year old lop. We have a meshand fabric harness for her. Any advice on getting her used to it so Ican give her a little outside freedom without her running off. I triedher in the house on it and all she did was run under the sofa with meholding her leash. I don't want to take her outside until she seemsvery comfortable with it. Thanks!

Every time I've tried a harness on a rabbitoutside, they always lead the way... It's not like walking a dog wherethey will follow you wherever you go. At least that's been myexperience.

But if you can, detach the leash from the harness and let your bun hoparound in just the harness part. And once she seems okay with that, tryputting the leash back on and let her hop around on her own (don'tholdthe leash.)

If you can't detach the leash from the harness, just let the bun hop around with the whole thing on.

When s/he hops around like normal with everything on, then you can hang onto the leash.

Whenever I'd take my rabbits outside, I'd just sit in a very centralspot holding the leash, and let them hop wherever they want to aroundme. That's another option, go sit in some grass somewhere and let yourbun hop around. Where are they going to go? THey're on a leash. But Iwould try to make sure it's a fairly quiet spot so it's not too scaryfor the rabbit

Hopefully that helps your bunny get used to the leash!

I have been thinking that I'd like to get someharnesses and leashes for my rabbits. I'd love to be able to take themoutdoors with me more, and having them leashed & harnessed wouldgive me more peace of mind.

Is there any certain types that you all recommend above others?

Thanks!
Annie

I live in a slighty urban area but I have a tinyfront yard. I am afraid the park may have too many dogs so I will tryhaving her explore the yard first. She is used to loud noises liketrains and ambulances so I think she will be ok with noise. Thanks! Igot the cute little harness from Super Pet. It is mesh and seems muchsafer then the wire kinds. I bought it at Petsmart I think.

We've got one like this. (the harness...not the bunnie :D) I think it was from PetSmart.
045125622959.jpg

I saw those when I was at Petco the other daygetting treats and toys for my new bun. You can get a matching carriertoo... (everyone in unison: "awwwwwwwww!")

thatrachel wrote:
I have an almost 2 year old lop. We have a mesh and fabricharness for her. Any advice on getting her used to it so I can give hera little outside freedom without her running off. I tried her in thehouse on it and all she did was run under the sofa with me holding herleash. I don't want to take her outside until she seems verycomfortable with it. Thanks!
I know it's frustrating.... but I had to chuckle to myself picturingyour baby under the sofa and you holding the leash! :p

I think you should take her out even if you put her in a pen first...with you and the leash. If she "likes outside" she will beginto associate the leash with going out.

That's just my opinion. I am waiting for spring to get a lead for mine and try it out.

Good luck.

ttrkyra wrote:
Every time I've tried a harness on a rabbit outside, theyalways lead the way... It's not like walking a dog where they willfollow you wherever you go. At least that's been my experience.
Well, then my dog must be more like a rabbit than a dog...pulling on the leash is her number one problem.....:(

I tried a leash/harness on Poco last summer, butshe ran a few feet then screamed, so I've been afraid to try it eversince. I've stuck with setting up my old garden fence as a temporaryplay area, which they all seem to love.

My big worry about outdoor playtime in the summer is bugs. We get a lotof mosquitoes, especially when it's humid, and I worry about thediseases they can carry - like West Nile Virus. Are there anybunny-safe ways to keep bugs out of the yard, or at least to cut downtheir numbers?

This is Maggie's/Peppy's harness.

It only has on buckle, you put the loop over their head, you cantighten it or make it loose and then it buckles around their waste, itslike a 8 shape. The only problem I have with leashes is my buns alwaystry to run when its on and I can't keep up :p I have to pull them back.

standing.jpg

MegStanding.jpg

Samson has a harness that buckles at the neck, and the tummy.

VNess2010 wrote:
Well, then my dog must be more like a rabbit than a dog...pulling on the leash is her number one problem.....:(

Have you seen "The Dog Whisperer" on National Geographic?Things I learned from the show really helped me with my pups.Cesar Milan is awesome! Check out the website:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/

I know this is off-topic, but wanted to share. This reallymade a difference for me. I tell everyone I know to watch.

Laura

I started using a figure 8 harness. Recently Ifound a harness style I like even better. It's called a Roman harness.It is awesome. When we were getting Apollo used to his harness, we gavehim plenty of love and treats definitely helped. We also only took himoutfor a few minutes at a time. With time and patience, Apollo willwillingly go anywhere for any amount of time. Good Luck.

Tina

Latest posts

Back