rabbits and hares

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaS

Reaction score
I used to think that rabbits came from hares. That hares were a wild version of rabbits.

Easier - Rabbits are furry-coated and short-tailed mammals. They havelong ears and long back legs for running and jumping. Rabbits areherbivores with long front teeth for gnawing. Some make burrows ortunnels in the ground. Rabbits are smaller and have shorter ears thantheir hare relatives. A hare (pronounced hair) also has long, strongback legs. Unlike rabbits, their young are born with their eyes openand they live above ground.

Harder - Rabbits and hares are common names, often appliedinterchangeably, for small, furry mammals with long ears and legs, andshort tails. In zoological classification, rabbits are distinguished bythe helplessness of their offspring. Young rabbits are born naked withtheir eyes closed. With the exception of North America's cottontail,rabbits live in underground burrow colonies. The cottontail builds itssimple nest on the surface, usually in grass or brush, and rarely livesin social groups. Hares are generally larger and have longer ears withcharacteristic black markings. The skulls of rabbits and hares are alsodifferent.

Both rabbits and hares are distributed throughout the world and possesssome common traits. They are often mistaken for each other. Variousspecies and subspecies of rabbits and hares are found in brushy woods,plains and grasslands, mountains, deserts, around rivers and wetlands,and even in the Arctic tundra and snow. Both breed prolifically,bearing four to eight litters each year. A litter generally has threeto eight young. They have a gestation period of about a month, aresexually mature in about six months, and live in the wild for about sixyears. Domestic rabbits may live to be over ten years old. Althoughrabbits and hares are valued as game by hunters both for their food andfur, they are also are pests to farmers and gardeners. They can destroycrops and trees.

http://www.42explore.com/rabbits.htm

Good Post Anna!

Our domesticated rabbits descended from wild European Rabbits (EuropeanHares are a different species). Wild European Rabbits burrow,however US species of rabbits nest on the surface in small depressions.

Hares of of the Genera "Lepus" and include the Snowshoe Hare, Jack Rabbit and European Hare.

Domestic rabbits and Wild European rabbits are of the Genera Oryctolagus.

Nearly all of the species of rabbits in the US are of the GeneraSylvilagus including the cottontail rabbit that we commonly seethroughout the US.

Other fun facts: The Jack Rabbit is a Hare, not arabbit. The Belgian Hare is a rabbit, not a Hare.

The only members of the lagomorph family are Hares, Rabbits and Pikas.

AnnaS wrote:
I am still confused, for example Dwarf rabbits were bred, they don'texist in the wild, but which rabbits were they bred from?

The genes for dwarfism exist in the wild (as well as thousands of othermutations), but selectiveinbreeding in captivity createsdifferent strains by continually mating rabbits with the same mutationsand desired traits. Generally rabbits in the wild thatinherit various mutations do not survive well in the wild.

Pam

Very good post unfortunately I have nothing toteach here I'm just taking in the wealth of information this post hasgiven me:D:D:D Thank you Pam and anna S.

Peter

LOL my bunny is a mutant.
So basically, to create any kind of breed, the gene has to originally be there as a mutation?
Is it the same with all animals? dogs?

P.S. thanks Pam

Great information, AnnaS! Veryinteresting and informative.

Pam,

Are their systems that different?

Why are the casualties so high in captivity of wild rabbits when the methods we use for domestics work?

-Carolyn

Stephanie wrote:
Pam - isn't Rex hair a mutation and how they came to be as a breed?

I thought I read that somewhere recently...
The rex gene is a mutation that also exists in the wild. Itwas discovered in the early 1900's through inbreedingandthere are at least 3 different rex fur mutations that are knowntoday.

Most mutations would have occurred millions of years ago before DNA/RNAwas stable or organisms were specialized. This would explainhow so many different organisms could have the samemutations. For example, there are albino humans, rabbits,birds, snakes, fish, etc. That particular mutation would havehad to have occurred millions of years ago before the organisms becamebranched off and became specialized.

The complex, specialized organisms that roam the earthtodaywould not normally survivethe occurrence of anew gene mutationgene mutation.

Pam

That is great info. I saw this special once onmarsh rabbits. One of the links in the page is about marsh rabbits.They were so awesome. They made little squeaks and could swim in water.:D I want pet rabbits that can do that!

Like this, thatrachel?

47b4d900b3127cceb2fc3317f9250000001610

47b4d900b3127cceb2fc3333f9010000001610

Knew a woman who would take all eleven of herbuns in the pool with her. Made sure they had a raft theycould climb on to when so desired. Caimed they liked it.

They all, obviously, could swim.

Buck

Holy moly! How cool would that be, to swim withbunnies? Hey, maybe we could all make some extra money, you know,instead of swimming with dolphins....

My rabbits would probably kick my butt seven different ways if I tried to take them swimming with me. :p

One of the most interesting books I've ever readregarding this topic is Rabbits & Hares by AnneMcBride, London,Whittet Books Ltd., 1988.It is jammed packed with information regarding the distinction betweenthe two species as well as behavioral differences and the startlingimpact upon the English environment their reduction in numbers haswrought.

Had to purchase it from England, because it was not sold much, if atall, in the States. It was a book derived from Ms. McBride'sdoctoral thesis and the "meatiness" of the text certainly demonstratesthat.

Found out about it while reading her book, Why does MyRabbit...?,London, Souvenir Press, 1998, perhaps, the bestrabbit behavioral explanatory book it has been my pleasure to read.

Not too much literature out there regarding bunny behavior.Lots of "care" books, not many "why" books. This is one.

Buck

Back