Rabbits and Dogs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matsuro

Reaction score
So can they get along? I plan on having two dogswhen I move, and wanted to know if adding a bunny is the right choice.I haven't been around bunnies in years, not since Elem. School where myteacher had two of them.

I especially don't know what breed I want either. I didn't know therewere so many. I guess I'm looking for a small to medium sized breed ofrabbit. Male or female, I don't know which gender is more affectionate?

Do you think an enclosure is to big for a rabbit? One on the smaller side anyways.

my parents golden retirever is very good withthe rabbits. herman loves to fallow hunter around (herman is therabbit, hunter is the dog).

the important thing to do when you have rabbits and you introduce a dog(or vice versa) you need to make it very clear to the dog(s) thatrabbits are not a toy (hunter knows 'play nice' and he does reallywell. . .we use it to keep him in check. . .if he gets to rowdy we onlyneed to say 'play nice' and he stops right away). introduce them verycalmly. . .don't bring the dog(s) and rabbit together when one, or bothparties are worked up, excited, or in the mood to play.

as far as breed goes, it depends entirely on the rabbit. i havepersonally found in the rabbits i have owned that females tend to bemore loners then males, all the males i have had wanted to be rightwhere you were, doing what you are doing, eating what you are eating,reading what you are reading:). while the females are more like "i wantto know what you are doing, but i want to do my own stuff too"

breed really means diddly in the end. i would suggest going to a rescueand telling the workers what kind of personality you are looking for(playfull, spunky, lazy, ect) and letting them tell you what rabbitsthey think would work in your house hold.

as far as housing, the bigger, the better! just as long as they can'tget out when locked up, and nothing that will hurt them can get in. . .

I think it all depends on the temperment of thedogs. We have two bloodhounds, the female Gabby is very gentle withsmall animals,because we have only had Lucy for a little over a weekthey have only had the opportunity to sniff noses but nothingelse. Gabby is very gentle with our Guinea Pigs so I assumeshe will be with Lucy too once we let Lucy down around her.Our male Truman however will never get to be with Lucy, he has neverreally liked the Guinea Pigs although after having them in the housefor so long now he has become pretty much indifferent.However we would never let him in the room while they are out and aboutlike we could Gabby. Truman will walk arounddrooling when we have Lucy out, needless to say Lucy is in a room thatTruman does not have access to. I'm pretty surethat drooling is not a good sign! It's funnybecause of the two dogs Truman is the most gentle, he is a bigbaby. He is very gentle with other dogs, he is scared of ourcat, loves everybody who will rub his ears but their is something aboutsmall animals that puts him in the hunting/trackingmode. He has never been used to do either but it'sin his blood.

I would just be careful,

Joy

I think a lot of it depends on the breed andpersonality of the dog and the personality of the rabbit.Maggie is great with Sky, but for a while her and Ronnie were at oddsbecause they would antagonize each other. Just recently theyhave been getting along so that one doesn't have to be put up while theother is in the yard.
But of course you never should leave a dog unsupervised with a small animal any time even if you thing you can trust them.
Picture020-1.jpg

Maggie is so cute!

I was thinking about a dwarf,Palomino, a New Zealand, a Polish, Mini Satin, or a Thrianta. Ithink I like the Thrianta's, dwarf's, and Polish more.

I just need some well known breeder names of the Polish and Thrianta. I can find dwarf breeders in Florida just fine.

Latest posts

Back